AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Frame Flex & Raster Dimesnions

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenneth Hollon
Frame Flex & Raster Dimesnions
on Jul 11, 2019 at 4:24:17 am

Hi! So I'm new to Avid and I've been a Premiere Pro user for quite a while, and I'm still learning terms and the lingo as I go on. One thing I'm not understanding in Avid Media Composer is Raster Dimensions, and how it affects my projects.

So, I have a 1920x1080 project file, and I'm using 4k footage to edit with. When I splice it in the timeline, the footage isn't scaled in, as it would be in Premiere Pro because of its 4k size in a 1920x1080 timeline. Instead, the entirety of the video image in AVID is seen in the 1920x1080 timeline.

When I go to Source Settings on the clip, I see Raster Dimensions and it has the original 3840x2160 4k resolution labeled, and below is Image Size which is set to 3840 x 2160 (16:9). This leads me to believe that AVID doesn't scale the Image down by Default if its a 4k clip in a 1080 timeline, like Premiere does. Instead, it keeps the full image, and if you want to scale it down to like a Close Up of something in Frame, it retains the pixel information.

The only time it will convert the 4k file to 1080, is if you change the "Image Size" in the FrameFlex options.

Thank you for baring with me, but am I correct here, or maybe slightly correct? Please correct me and thank you for reading! :)

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Frame Flex & Raster Dimesnions
on Jul 13, 2019 at 12:06:10 pm

Below all the things you mentioned in Source Settings is a menu for letterbox, center, squeeze, etc. Set that one to get what you need.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]