AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

What is the best codec to use when working on high resolution footage?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Smith
What is the best codec to use when working on high resolution footage?
on Jul 2, 2019 at 6:17:46 pm

Hello,

We typically use MXF OP-Atom DNxHD 1080i 175 10-bit to make transcodes for our offline editing. However I'm wondering if there is a better codec I could be using specifically for blowing up (zooming in) on 8k resolution footage where there would be less of a quality loss?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advanced and have a great day!

Max

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: What is the best codec to use when working on high resolution footage?
on Jul 2, 2019 at 9:24:41 pm

DNxHD 175 is a full res online codec. You use that for offline? The offline codec is DNxHD 36...or things like 14:1 in SD. DNx175...yeah, that's a full res finishing codec.

If you are working with 8K footage, you'll need to be looking at the DNxHR codecs...available when you make an 2K project or higher. So make an 8K project, link the media, and then transcode. DNxHR HQ or HQx are high quality. VERY high quality. You'll need fast drives or a good RAID to play back 8K at those resolutions. OR...you can work in an offline resolution that's still 8K. DNxHR LB (Low Bandwidth). ... and re-transcode to a finishing codec when done.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 3, 2019 at 2:08:17 am

Also, keep in mind that DNxHR codecs are all progressive. Are your other camera sources interlace?

Michael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 3, 2019 at 7:53:58 am

I believe that 4K and 5K and 8K cameras also only SHOOT progressive. Interlaced tops out at 1080i.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]