AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Problems with with AAF from DiVinci Resolve in Avid

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Guy Mellitz
Problems with with AAF from DiVinci Resolve in Avid
on Jun 29, 2019 at 3:45:58 am

I’m working on a project that was edited in Avid, then color-corrected in Resolve. Now I’m trying to get it back into the Avid and I’m having some issues. I was given an AAF with all of the corrected media. I made a brand new Avid project, unmounted the drives with the raw/original footage, and imported the AAF.

- The first issue is that I get an error saying "Exception: PlayPipe::DoComp() encountered a missing mob” when I load the sequence into the timeline.
- Then, there are a few clips that don’t link up to media that is definitely there.
- Next, the color-correct doesn’t appear on the clips, yet if I match-frame, or load an individual clip from the bin, the color change is there. Very confounding.
- Finally, the sequence starts making my Avid behave very strangely if I go too far into the sequence, freezing the picture and whatnot.

To make things extra annoying, it’s all sorts of mixed media and frame rates, primarily 4K (although we’re not finishing in 4K), but also drones, Go-Pros, 59.97 stuff, clips that were originally encoded Mp4s, etc. I’ve tried several different things (laying into a new sequence, changing project settings, trying different color spaces, and am waiting for Avid to call me back. The color guys say they don’t have much experience with Avid (naturally).

I've even downloaded Resolve to see if I could link things up there and maybe re-export it somehow, but those few stubborn clips won't link up there either, and I have no idea how to relink things in Resolve.

I'm hoping someone here can help me out. (I can't create an account to post on the Avid forum, for some reason I can't figure out as well.) I'm sure this raises many questions that I would be happy to try and answer.

Guy Mellitz
Film/Video Editor
http://www.guymellitz.com

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Problems with with AAF from DiVinci Resolve in Avid
on Jun 29, 2019 at 9:42:10 pm

what was exported media wise out of Resolve? Was the aaf from Resolve created with the Avid Preset?
Did you load the Resolve rendered media into an avid mediaFiles directory location?
Did Avid rebuild the database in this location?
Frame rates may be a issue if they were mixed in the original edit. Resolve will have just output everything at a single frame rate. I'm assuming Avid is looking at the aaf and seeing the original framerate, not the resolve adjusted frame rate. (to be honest it has been a while since i did a round trip, but I would assume multiple frame rates will be an issue.

As for go pro, 4k, all the different types of media...is all your media back in Avid not a single media type now?
I'm a bit confused by this statement. Perhaps a more detailed explanation of the process your footage took from originally going into Avid, then what was done in Resolve, and how you got it back to Avid would help clear things up.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Guy Mellitz
Re: Problems with with AAF from DiVinci Resolve in Avid
on Jun 30, 2019 at 6:31:48 am

Thank you for responding Glenn. After much trial and error since I posted, I've pretty much solved the puzzle pieces by downloading the free version of resolve, and going back and forth, trying different things. The main thing was definitely the different frame rates, but there was also a clip with timecode that rolled over from 24:59:59 to 0, causing a huge headache. Basically I was given material from people who did not know enough to do the things necessary to bring it back to Avid. I have now learned a great deal more that I anticipated. The next time should be a little easier for sure.

Thanks again!
Guy

Guy Mellitz
Film/Video Editor
http://www.guymellitz.com

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]