AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Problems when conforming in Davinci from an Avid aaf

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Eirik Nicolai Heim
Problems when conforming in Davinci from an Avid aaf
on Jun 27, 2019 at 8:21:34 am

Hi,

I am about to grade a 10 episode 20 minutes tv-series shot on a Red Epic W. I have the same camera myself and been grading it a lot, and also been sending XMLs/aafs between Premiere/FCP to Davinci with no problems before.

I have not been a part of the editing process in Avid Media Composer, and I do not have extensive experience with that NLE. I have asked for the usual, a reference file, a XML/aaf and the raw material. When I try to import the timeline into Davinci there are almost no clips online, and the few are placed in wrong places, except in the end. I have tried both importing all the material into Davinci myself before importing the timeline, and automatically fine the media. I have also tried different stuff in the conform options menu.

It seems like they have used Media Composer to make proxies. I have been looking at the metadata showing up in Davinci and compared the raw files with the mxf proxies. They both have the red filename starting: A008_C001_ but afther those 10 characters the filenames are not the same any longer. Most of the mxf then have the video and audio tracks endings after that. I can see that they do not have the same time code, and guess that that is the main problem with everything. They still have the same: Duration, Frames, FPS.

Any solution? Something I can fix in Davinci? Something I have to do in Media Composer?
It takes way to much time to manually rebuild the timeline and frame match every clip.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Problems when conforming in Davinci from an Avid aaf
on Jun 27, 2019 at 12:21:05 pm

Import the raw media first into your Resolve Media Pool. Then import the AAF as a timeline, but do not enable "automatic import" of media clips. It *should* then find all the correct clips. Audio will almost certainly be messed up. So get rid of all audio and use the exported reference movie's audio track. You will probably still have to tweak some things. That's the best case scenario.

However, I recently conformed/graded a RED-shot film cut by 3 different editors in MC. Ultimately it was all such a mess, that it was easier to manually overcut every clip in Resolve. In that case, I had to import with the Avid media so I could see TC and a reference image. Then replace each shot with the RED footage. (Thank goodness I started out editing as a linear online editor. 😁)

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 27, 2019 at 1:20:56 pm

Pat Horridge helped me out on this.
Sorry, I'm trying to find the post but it has to do with TapeNames.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 27, 2019 at 1:26:23 pm

There's also this:

https://library.creativecow.net/freeman_scott/linkingmetadatatoessence/1

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]