AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Change footage file name before linking or after transcoding?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Bodossian
Change footage file name before linking or after transcoding?
on Jun 19, 2019 at 5:21:25 am

Hello! I'm going to be working with 4k footage and will be linking and relinking, but am concerned that the footage and sequence won't relink if I change the file names at the wrong step. So which is best:

A). Change file names of the raw high-res footage when linked but before transcoding.

OR

B). Keep linked raw footage file names as is, and once I transcode to proxies then I can go ahead and change the file names.

Thank you to anybody who can help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Change footage file name before linking or after transcoding?
on Jun 19, 2019 at 5:27:30 pm

Don't change the file name BEFORE importing. No no..keep that as is. And when you import, keep the name there too, and only add to the COMMENTS. Or, keep the name, but put a description before it, or after it. Like....

"A00023C - CU man walking down street." or "CU Man walking down street - A00023C"

Make sure to keep the name in case you need to manually relink for any reason.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jun 20, 2019 at 8:06:49 am

In Avid original file name is retained in source file column. The clip name adopts that but you are free to rename anytime.
Clip names are for editors to use file names and the source file and source path are for re linking.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jun 23, 2019 at 6:57:05 am

Not really.
It highly depends on the kind of footage and the application that does the relinking.
If you want to relink in Resolve, and you have footage with an UMID, you can do pretty much anything at any stage, since Resolve looks at the metadata inside the file.
But, some footage relies on sidecar XML files, and if that is the case sometimes renaming will mess things up.

Having said this, renaming footage is normally only done for stock, AE renders and alike.
For camera originals, changing the Name (or comment, or whatever entry) in the bin is way more practical.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]