AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Avid MC 9 roundtrip Davinci 15

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Hoffmann
Avid MC 9 roundtrip Davinci 15
on May 30, 2019 at 8:03:46 pm

Dear All,
I was asked to assist on a feature shot Arri Alexa. The drive is loaded with MXF file structure that Avid cannot link or import even new folder with sole mxf is created. After research tried the ARRIRAW converter which didn't do much at all. Then I used Davinci 15 and exported a MXF OP Atom, DNxHR 444 12 bit and tried to import the new master but Avid is stubborn...the brower tool doesn't do anything.
Any help would be very appreciate it. Thank you!!!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid MC 9 roundtrip Davinci 15
on May 30, 2019 at 9:14:54 pm

OK...just so i'm clear on my end...

You have a drive full of MXF media, media that Avid cannot import or link to, correct? So you took that media into Resolve and rendered out OP Atom MXF files...and then again tried to IMPORT or access them via the SOURCE BROWSER, correct?

First off...where did this original MXF files come from? Camera masters? Did a DIT on set create this? With what? Right now it sounds like someone gave you files without informing you how they were made, where they came from...what they are. So better communication is needed between you and the production supplying the files. Without knowing WHAT they are, where they came from, there's no way to know what to do. All we can do is assume certain things, and then work from those assumptions, and those might be wrong.

So...if the production gave you MXF files already rendered out as MXF Op atom...then they are AVID MEDIA files...the sort that Avid creates when it transcodes media. To bring those into Avid, you need to put them into the Avid file structure...so on the media drive, in the Avid MediaFiles folder, MXF folder, there will be numbered folders. Make a new one, and name it with a number. If "1" is already there, and that's it, make a "2" folder, and then drop all the clips into that. Then launch Avid. If they are MXF OpAtom files, then Avid will create a database (progress bar will appear when you launch Avid)...when that's done, you simply make a new bin inside Media Composer, then open the "2" folder, and look for the ".mdb" file in there. Drag that file into the new bin, and it will then populate with the clips in that folder.

If these MXF files are not camera masters, this won't work, and Avid might say "WHOA! These files are messed up. WOuld you like me to quarantine them?" Click no if that happens. If that happens, linking to the footage via the SOURCE BROWER might be what you need to try. But then you'll need to know if these are files made by a camera, and then WHAT camera, and then choose that plugin when linking to the files. If linking doesn't work, i'd assume (assuming is bad, tho), that they are actual Avid media....and the above step should solve this.

Now...when YOU went and made new MXF Op Atom files with Resolve, you recompressed the media....to a very very high end codec, without knowing what type of files you have. They might be low res media created for editing, and you then made them far larger in quality and size. IN ANY CASE...the steps you did in making Avid media...once you do that you need to follow the steps I laid out above, making a new folder, dragging the .mdb file into a bin...because that is Avid media, and you can't IMPORT or LINK to that...you can only access it they way I say, or by looking for it with the MEDIA TOOL.

But BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING...you need to contact production and find out what you have...what sort of files.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Max Hoffmann
Re: Avid MC 9 roundtrip Davinci 15
on May 30, 2019 at 11:07:35 pm

Thank you Shane! Great infos. Yes no communication...I am ending up importing master MXF into Resolve and creating proxys for Avid using DNxHD 115 1080p. Thanks again!

Max Hoffmann
everything_max@mac.com
http://www.everythingmax.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]