AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

MXF not compatible

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Stanger
MXF not compatible
on May 29, 2019 at 8:26:57 pm

I am trying to load some old footage, mxf files, into my symphony.
Neither quicktime nor Avid can open/load these MXF files created on a much older Avid.
Is there anyway to convert these to a format that can be reimported?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MXF not compatible
on May 29, 2019 at 9:47:29 pm

If they are Avid generated files...the ones that when you transcode go into the Avid file structure...then you need to do this:

Go into the Avid MediaFiles folder on the media drive...open MXF. In there make a new folder, name it "10" or "100," or any number NOT currently in use. Drag the MXF files into there.

Open Avid. It'll create a database file (you'll see a progress bar as it does this).

When that is done, make a new bin. Then, open that numbered folder you put the files in and look for the ".mdb" file. Drag that into the bin you made IN AVID.

That bin will populate with all the clips you brought into that new numbered folder.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brad Stanger
on May 29, 2019 at 10:49:23 pm

Hey Shane,
Thanks for the quick response. That is how I loaded P2 mxf's in, it is way faster than import.
I have tried to put them in Avid MediaFile folder, but they are not recognized so it doesnt even create a database file.
These would have been created at the beginnings of mxf, probably using a codec that is no longer supported. Where would I find the codecs for mxf, i only know of them in the Library/QuickTime and System/Library/QuickTime (but you cant modify these)?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 29, 2019 at 11:25:06 pm

OH! OK, you are talking about Camera ORIGINAL footage...P2. Yeah, don't do this with camera original footage. Avid doesn't work with the footage like that anymore.

So, the SOURCE BROWSER is the way to go here, and then choose P2 as the plugin, if offered. Does that work for you?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]