AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

All external audio defaults to track one after multi-group

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tej Sapru
All external audio defaults to track one after multi-group
on May 2, 2019 at 4:06:55 pm

Hello, first time posting and thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

I am in the process of syncing and creating a multigroup for a documentary film. Our workflow is to create a single multigroup with sync sound for each shoot day for the editors/producers to work off.

There was a new sound operator for the last few shoot days and I have run into the following problem:

After creating the sync map and multigrouping, AVID puts ALL of the tracks of external audio onto a single track A1.
So if I right click on Track A1 in the multigroup I get 4 tracks of audio options.

What I would like is to have each track of external audio appear on its own track in the multigroup and right clicking only gives you the option of swapping to camera audio.

When I import the audio clips (I have tried AMA linking/transcoding and directly importing with no difference) I see that the track contained in the metadata is 'A1' for every audio clip.

EXTERNAL AUDIO FORMAT IS: Sound File format: Wav Poly 48hz 24bit

I have tried stripping the metadata by running it though 3rd party programs like Audacity, or exporting them as AIFFs from premiere and then running them through Streamclip but to no avail. In other NLEs the track number is blank.

I can modify the clips once in the AVID to change the track number but I have to unlink the clips to do so and then cannot relink to them.

I am at my wits end and any help would be greatly appreciated!

FURTHER INFO:
Version: Media Composer Ultimate 2018.12.0
COMPUTER SPECS: 2017 IMAC with 40gb of RAM running OSX High Sierra.
EXTERNAL AUDIO FORMAT IS: Sound File format: Wav Poly 48hz 24bit

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: All external audio defaults to track one after multi-group
on May 10, 2019 at 12:40:49 am

Not in front of a box right now, but there is an audio setting to combine bwfs as a single file or individual streams. I thought it only had to do with import, but perhaps not...or perhaps there is a similar setting in the multi group dialog.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Cavan Xem
Re: All external audio defaults to track one after multi-group
on May 10, 2019 at 4:02:02 am

you can change the track defaults before importing the clips by adding a suffix to the file name [add _number to the file name] -- this will import the audio file to the track number you have written in the file name
example -- your file is named AudioFile.WAV - so for importing this into track5 you change the file name to AudioFile_5.WAV

btw - i've built an automatic grouper for avid, upload an aaf your syncmap and, you will get back a grouped aaf -- check it out here http://www.acmetools.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]