AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Career advice please

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Warren Marshall
Career advice please
on Apr 24, 2019 at 5:16:59 am

Does it take long to go from an Edit Assist position to Assembly Editor/Assistant Editor? Making a late career change to video editor and trying to decide whether to learn PP or Avid. Does it taker longer to become an actual editor using Avid in the film/tv industry? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

W.Marshall

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Career advice please
on Apr 24, 2019 at 5:48:55 pm

How long does it take? Well, it takes as long as it does for someone to hire you as an editor. Some people never assist, and only edit, some assist for decades. All you need is for someone to trust you enough to hire you to edit. Now, this might take a few years of working with a company, and being handed a few things to cut while you assist. Or, for you to cut side projects on your own. But you need to prove in some way you have editing ability. Me? It took 4 years....and side projects. But mainly, being an assistant who was allowed to cut scenes. After one year at that company of doing that, the next show I was hired to edit.

[Warren Marshall] "Making a late career change to video editor and trying to decide whether to learn PP or Avid."

Both...and more. I know PPro and Avid, cut major projects on both. Also know Resolve, but that's because I online too. I SHOULD learn FCX, but I can't grasp it. But if those are the two you mention, know both, well.

[Warren Marshall] "Does it taker longer to become an actual editor using Avid in the film/tv industry?"

Longer than if you use PPro? The edit platform isn't what makes people hire you as an editor. It's your storytelling ability. If they use Avid, they ask, "Do you know how to edit with Avid?" If they use Premiere, they ask "Can you cut with Premiere?" If you know them, you get to say YES..and knowing more than one, means more job opportunities.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Warren Marshall
on Apr 24, 2019 at 9:01:48 pm

Hi Shane,

Thanks for replying to my post. Lots of great information and insights... Cheers!

In the long run I will definitely learn to master as many systems as possible. If I was to learn one first, to avoid the confusion of learning multiple platforms, which one should I learn in your opinion?

I've noticed Avid is primarily used in the Film/TV industry. Also, I noticed that PP is predominantly used for commercial work and jobs related to the ad industry. Of course PP is starting to be used for shows and films too. Well this seems to be the case in Sydney, Australia.

Thanks,
Warren

W.Marshall

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 24, 2019 at 11:17:08 pm

I would add that if your plans are to assist for Media Composer editing, you probably need to be more knowledgeable about the relative intricacies of the software than the equivalent job for a Premiere Pro-based edit. Just the nature of the two applications.

I'm not sure about Sydney, but Premiere Pro tends to have a somewhat stronger presence in commercial and trailer editorial shops than traditional film and TV editing. Also Premiere Pro seems to be the up-and-coming NLE in the documentary and reality TV genres.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Warren Marshall
on Apr 25, 2019 at 12:45:24 am

Thanks, Oliver.

I starting to think I should learn PP first and then progress to the more complicated Avid system.

Thanks
Warren

W.Marshall

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 25, 2019 at 1:50:06 am

[Warren Marshall] "then progress to the more complicated Avid system"

While that will work, I wouldn't necessarily consider Avid as more complicated. In many ways it's easier. The biggest difference is in how media is handled. That's an area that is often taken care of by an assistant for the editor, so you definitely need to know that on either system.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Warren Marshall
on Apr 25, 2019 at 7:57:47 am

Thanks, Oliver.

Being older and transitioning to video editing, I felt the Avid pathway was more like an apprenticeship compared to PP.

W.Marshall

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 25, 2019 at 12:15:23 pm

One other consideration. You can get into Avid for free with Media Composer | First. It's a standard version with some feature restrictions (limit on number of bins and tracks, to start with). You "own" it - it's not a trial. But you can get real projects done with it, you'll learn the product, and it's a good way to test the waters.

Premiere Pro would require at minimum, a 1-app month-by-month subscription.

IIRC - The full version of MC has a 30-day trial period, while PP is only 7 days.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Warren Marshall
on Apr 25, 2019 at 7:23:56 pm

I didn’t know that, thanks.

I’ll give Avid a go and see how I like it.

W.Marshall

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 26, 2019 at 6:08:37 pm

Great responses here.
I for one have been using all three for years and still waiting for that big break.
I've done a ton of fixing edits for features/shorts but never started/finish solo.
I am so glad I learned all three and now Resolve for NLEs.
But originally I have to tank Media100 for learning Avid faster.
I think if I had started with Premiere, I would have had a long time dealing with Avids technical side.

IMHO of course.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 26, 2019 at 6:29:47 pm

[Eric Santiago] "I think if I had started with Premiere, I would have had a long time dealing with Avids technical side"

I think it's easier to learn Media Composer first and then Premiere, rather than the other way around. Well, not easier, but gives you much better grounding.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Warren Marshall
on Apr 27, 2019 at 3:30:46 am

Thanks, Oliver.

I think I will take that approach. Really appreciate your feedback and direction.

Cheers,
Warren

W.Marshall

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]