AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

New Media Composer

COW Forums : NAB Show

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Oliver Peters
New Media Composer
on Apr 6, 2019 at 10:01:22 pm

Announced at ACA today. New, overhauled version of Media Composer coming in late May. This will be version 2019.5. Slick, modern UI without losing the essence of what people love about MC. Panel layout with bins that can dock, tab, float or stack. New engine under the hood. 32- bit float color, ACES compliant, IMF and DPX workflows. Very good effort by a reinvigorated development team.

Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: New Media Composer
on Apr 7, 2019 at 12:28:45 am

Here's what Avid teased with today:

https://www.avid.com/media-composer-movie-editing-software-for-makers?utm_s...

And yes, I'm excited for it

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 7, 2019 at 4:25:46 am
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Apr 7, 2019 at 4:29:21 am

Just for clarification, there are things mentioned in this video that are not specifically part of Media Composer 2019. Some of these, like Distributed Processing on a network, are additional products/options that are part of the larger ecosystem, specifically Nexis and Media Central. Quite a few things were announced today at Connect and will be on the show floor at NAB starting Monday.

FWIW- Avid must be feeling pretty good about the stability of this build, even though it just recently went into beta testing. They ran the stage presentation for the sound and picture editorial team for "Bohemian Rhapsody" from this version. That featured some scenes from the film, including one that didn't make the final version.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 8, 2019 at 4:19:22 pm

Looking forward to installing this.
I have no idea when it's released.
I did notice an email on changes for future licenses.
"Beginning May 30, 2019, existing subscriptions will only be able to run Media Composer 2018.9 or higher upon renewal. In addition, new perpetual and subscription licenses will only be able to run Media Composer v2018.9 or higher.".
I haven't backtracked to 8.x in a year so that's moot for me.

Crossing fingers of course :)

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 8, 2019 at 9:20:03 pm

I'm assuming that licensing email is telling us there are some major changes under the hood...and the codes cant co-exist like they used to.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 9, 2019 at 1:40:15 pm

[Glenn Sakatch] "I'm assuming that licensing email is telling us there are some major changes under the hood...and the codes cant co-exist like they used to."

I will need to confirm what all this means.
I have a sub and two dongles to deal with.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 9, 2019 at 1:42:47 pm

It was my understanding that the e-mail about versions and Avid internal licensing was unrelated to these changes. Apparently it had to do with some Dolby licensing.

Oliver

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 10, 2019 at 5:19:20 pm

Thanks, Oliver.

Crossing fingers they don't make any stupid changes to dongle/licensing.
I am on the edge at work with their subscription pricing.
Having a hard time keeping Avid with our Adobe/FCPX/Resolve setup.

Return to posts index

Eric Merklein
on Apr 20, 2019 at 5:02:17 pm

Hello Oliver.

After 12 years I had to leave Composer due to work requirements that forces Premiere Pro, but I'm thinking of returning soon.

Three things that I like about Pro is that you can import mixed media at mixed frame rates without trans-coding, as I had to do on Avid, and I can export with the encoder and keep on editing.

Do I still have to trans-code media to the Avid codec before I edit, and can I export and edit at the same time?

Third item is that the Premiere Pro export settings that are available are great. Has Avid improved what they had on board 4 years ago?

I'll be downloading the trial version, but I thought best to contact you first.

Many thanks.

Eric

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 20, 2019 at 5:34:58 pm

[Eric Merklein] "After 12 years I had to leave Composer due to work requirements that forces Premiere Pro, but I'm thinking of returning soon."

I might not be the best person to answer this, as I mainly use Premiere Pro myself. However, I also have active ongoing projects using the current version of MC. Yes, you can import linked media as sources without having to transcode first. These can include mixed frame rates, codecs, and sizes. Unlike Premiere, your project is created at a specific size/speed preset and all new sequences match that. So if your project is 1080p/23.976, then all new sequences within that project will use that format. The export options are wider than in the past. Of course, you may have to create custom presets, rather than use the defaults. That's easy to do and more or less the same as it has always been. You can also batch export a group of sequences at once. Unfortunately there's no equivalent to Adobe Media Encoder.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Ben McCarthy
on Apr 23, 2019 at 12:35:20 am

We've been mucking about with the beta, not ready for prime time yet for us, crashing when having more than one video layer stacked

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Apr 23, 2019 at 8:33:21 am

I’ ve moved an ongoing job back to Avid from PP. It was on PP as it was a turnaround and I didn’t want to transcode, now in Avid I just link pretty much everything (I do import music as it is quick, sample rate converts if necessary and I had a sequence link to wrong music track once).

Linking mixed frame rates works. There’s more choice in how Avid deals with the frame rate conversion too.

Background render works well but exporting ties up the machine (ie no AME style integration) also H264 can take a long time so there’s a few options around exporting QT Ref or SAS or intermediate codec & having AME or other products make the H264.

Export options have expanded over recent years - what do you need? I tend to either export OP1a AVCI or DNX MXF or have a ProRes mixdown track and export QT SAS (same as source). I have nablet plugin for linking/exporting XAVC MXF too.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]