AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Importing media and it’s impact on colour space

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maciej Chmielewski
Importing media and it’s impact on colour space
on Apr 3, 2019 at 6:46:30 pm

Hi.

I've got some technical questions related to avid and it's (or general) color managment.

1. If I import/transcode file that was recoderd in log, does the transcoding process remove any information related to its colour space so I wouldn't be able to set my Baselight input colour space properly? Assuming that my colour space in Avid is REC.709 and that is my desired colour space to deliver. Simply speaking what I want to know is if the LOG files after transcoding will still be LOG (but now DNxDH or Proress)?

2. If I need to work on project with several different cameras (with several different colour spaces), once again, does transcoding the media allow the Baselight to see properly what was the colour space originaly and set the whole working space correctly, assuming that I work in TrueCam and I need that metadata. The easiest way to do would be to link the media in the first place, but Avid (up to date) doesn't recognize Alexa or RED files.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Importing media and it’s impact on colour space
on Apr 4, 2019 at 7:48:19 am

You need to install the correct AMA plugins into Avid for AMA link to see and link to that media. Once linked you can add color adapters as required to convert the source into whatever color space you have Avid set to. Color spaces beyond rec 709 are available in projects with a format greater than HD.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Maciej Chmielewski
on Apr 4, 2019 at 9:49:17 am

Thank you Pat. So in order to preserve all the original camera data (given that all the colour transformation I want to do in Baselight) I shouldn’t apply any color adapters while importing or transcoding in Avid?

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Apr 4, 2019 at 10:06:16 am

Well the normal workflow for grading is that the AAF or XML from the offline edit goes to the Grading system and the Grader connects to the original sources linking them to the ingested composition.
So at that stage you have all the original sources available in all their various colour spaces and LUTs etc.

If you link in Avid you have the choice of leaving the footage as it is and transcoding or applying a corrective LUT and transcoding (but not embedding that LUT, it still lives sitting on top of the media) or Transcoding and embedding the LUT (so you can no longer get back to the original look without reverting to a pre transcoded version)

So it depends on what you workflow is to be.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Maciej Chmielewski
on Apr 4, 2019 at 10:16:41 am

Ok I get it. In my workflow I edit in avid and do color correction in Baselight plugin. So as far as I know I need to at least link the original media into the sequence before I do my grading. That’s why (I’m not sure about it) I need to import/link/transcode media after all, but preserving the data that I will need to make my color transformation inside Baselight.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]