AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Avoiding the dreaded "MSMMMOB" in Avid EDL

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Randolph
Avoiding the dreaded "MSMMMOB" in Avid EDL
on Mar 29, 2019 at 4:30:24 pm

Hello, I have inherited an Avid Project that has many clips with unassigned tape names or reel names. Looking at the EDL I see "MSMMMOB" under source file. How do I edit these files within Avid, so that the person doing the online gets a proper path and is able to link directly to the source file?

Thank you,
Steven

Steven Randolph
B. University
San Fernando Valley

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Avoiding the dreaded "MSMMMOB" in Avid EDL
on Mar 30, 2019 at 8:10:11 pm

Going to guess they were transcoded in Resolve by someone who didn't know what they were doing?

I would consider re transcoding before editing.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 31, 2019 at 1:48:34 am

That's exactly what it is - dailies were done in Resolve without the REEL NAME being correctly identified before the transcode was done. I would absolutely redo those to ensure a smooth conform.

These are the settings you need

Return to posts index

Steven Randolph
on Mar 31, 2019 at 3:50:48 am

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I have been working with the footage and need to start supplying EDL's fairly soon. If I was to manually replace the instances of "MSMMMOB" in the EDL with the tape name in a text editor, would that work? I want to avoid re-transcoding and re-importing the files.

Thanks again,
Steven

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Mar 31, 2019 at 12:12:45 pm

Can't you just duplicate file name to reel name in your bins?

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Mar 31, 2019 at 5:13:56 pm

>>Can't you just duplicate file name to reel name in your bins?

Not if you're going to conform using the original camera files, which don't have the unique ID.

Michael is right (as he almost always is). The dailies were done incorrectly (also a common occurrence). That needs to be addressed unless every shot has unique time code. If there is no duplicate time code (i.e., not shot over multiple days, not more than one camera) it should conform based solely on time code. But that is not the norm. The other question is what is in the CamRoll column. That might be usable as well, as in Avid you can select what is in the Reel column on an EDL when you make one using the List Tool (under "formatting).

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 31, 2019 at 7:04:25 pm

The only way I have gotten around this is to manually link to camera raw in Avid...creating a new sequence that is correct. Painful, but doable using items like original duration to narrow down which items that share time codes need to be used. (In my case they renamed the clips without preserving original names in a separate column...so very difficult to know where stuff was supposed to come from)

At least in Avid you can try to rethink to other columns that might get you partially there.

Once the avid timeline is correct...all you lists will be as well.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 1, 2019 at 1:13:56 pm

Did you ever merge an ALE from Resolve as part of the original workflow? Usually one of the columns of metadata is the original camera filename (usually Clip Name or Name). If so, duplicated column into Labroll or Camroll and generate an EDL. If not, then a manual entry into one of those columns will be needed to reflect original camera name.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]