Proxy workflow similar to Premiere?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Rosapepe
Proxy workflow similar to Premiere?
on Mar 21, 2019 at 5:14:52 pm
Last Edited By Aaron Rosapepe on Mar 21, 2019 at 7:59:54 pm

Greetings!

I am about to start cutting a personal project and thought it would be a good chance to dive back into Avid. I am working with Red Dragon 6K footage as well as BMD 4K Braw. Edit timeline as well as final delivery will be HD 1920x1080.

Premiere Pro has a great feature where you can link HD proxies to your hi-res footage and then toggle back and forth in the playback monitor if you need to double check any re-sizing work that you have done (I will be punching in quite a bit on the 6K footage for some shots).

Is there a feature like this in the latest version of Avid? If not, how do those of you with more experience, go about this type of workflow?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Proxy workflow similar to Premiere?
on Mar 21, 2019 at 10:07:45 pm

Sorry, there is not. That's unique to Premiere pro.

How do we go about it?

AMA link to the camera masters...put them into bins by card.
Transcode that footage to proxy.
Edit. Edit...edit.
When done...duplicate the final sequence, relink it back to the masters by having the AMA bins open, the drive containing the files connected, and RELINK.
or
Export an AAF into Resolve, bring all the media into the Media Pool. Import and relink to the masters

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Aaron Rosapepe
on Mar 21, 2019 at 10:18:19 pm

Ah ok, thanks Shane!

Just out of curiosity, how do you check to make sure you haven't over done it when scaling an image up with this workflow? The 6K is the master (two camera musical performance) and I'll be cutting in as much as I can get away with for some shots. Do you just check it in the final conform when you go to finishing?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 21, 2019 at 10:42:43 pm

Well, when we have 4K masters, we make 4K proxies. Same dimensions, just proxy. DNxHR LQ...still 4K. So we use Frame Flex to do the push ins.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Aaron Rosapepe
on Mar 21, 2019 at 10:47:43 pm

That makes sense. Thanks so much for taking the time to elaborate!

Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]