AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Moving MC 2018.12 Project Back to Older Versions

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ajay Saklani
Moving MC 2018.12 Project Back to Older Versions
on Feb 10, 2019 at 11:41:50 am

Hi,
I'm new to Media Composer. I have worked on FCP, Premiere Pro and Da Vinci Resolve. I'm further planning to use MC for film edits as most of the studios around me have MC the only option available.

I want to purchase MC so that I can edit back home in my laptop as well. But the issue is that most of the media houses are still working with older versions like 8.5.

So will it be possible if I edit my projects in 2018.12 and then open it in MC 8.5 or so when my client want to preview and finalise it in a better studio?

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Moving MC 2018.12 Project Back to Older Versions
on Feb 10, 2019 at 4:06:23 pm

My experience is that it will work. Avid is generally more flexible with this sort of thing than Premiere. You should test this though. Download the trial of Avid and see what happens. Hopefully, you can get a hold of an existing older project for the test.

When going between different systems, I usually copy the bins (not the project file itself). Usually, thats all you need anyway, as the bins contain the clips and sequences. In other NLE’s, like Premiere, the bins are part of the project file, which makes things more difficult, but in Avid, they are independent files.

Obviously, stay away from using editing features not available on the older system.
I’ve successfully gone back and forth between two versions that were many years apart and had it work, but there are no guarantees here. It depends on quirks of specific versions and what features are used.

Avid used to allow downloading of older versions of software, also. Not sure if that’s still possible in the new licensing scheme.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 10, 2019 at 5:22:09 pm

I curently have 8.5 on an imac and 2019.(2?) on a PC. They share projects via Mimic, and i routinely open them on each others computers, and (sometimes) at the same time.

Only caveat is that my PC is symphony and the imac is more basic, so any outputs (prores) that i might want to do out of the imac may have to go through a video mixdown in PC box first...if there is any symphony color effects being used in the timeline.

But from a purely open the timelines, play them, edit them close them, open them on the other box it works fine.

I think there might be an issue if you try to go prior to v7 or 6...but you should always be able to export aafs back and forth with little issues even on older systems.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ben McCarthy
on Feb 17, 2019 at 10:59:49 pm

We are having problems at work with projects from the same MC versions whole number versions (2018). Not being able to delete attic bin files, for one, so I wouldn't hold my breath in downgrading whole versions

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 18, 2019 at 4:58:30 pm

Sounds more like you are having a permissions issue than anything else.

You are saying the attic is "full" and can't replace with current save?

Are you on shared storage with shared attic?

Not sure this has much to do with the original posters question. That sounds like an internal issue, not an Avid issue, or we would be hearing about it from a lot more people.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ben McCarthy
on Feb 18, 2019 at 10:20:22 pm

Possibly, although internal issue is most likely an Avid issue as well! Maybe a mixture of both, we are a big facility.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]