AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Yet another FrameFlex workflow issue..

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rienk Lwendertse
Yet another FrameFlex workflow issue..
on Nov 23, 2018 at 1:51:37 pm

Hi all,

I have a question for an upcoming Avid project which will be mastered in 1080p and which will have mixed footage.
Main footage will be 1080p. Some footage will be long GoPro 4k runs. It will be shot in 4k, so that some reframing can be done in the edit for only some shots.
Due to system and storage limits the editing must be done with XDCAM HD 35mbit transcodes.

So the 4k GoPro footage will be AMA linked and then transcoded to XDCAM HD 35 (which is 1080p).

Now the question comes:
The GoPro clips are 8 minutes long clips, of which only sometimes a part of that clip will need reframing.

How will I do that with FrameFlex?
Because, after transcoding the AMA linked 4k file, I edit the 1080p version in the Timeline. Then I start editing an on a a certain moment I want (the director wants) to reframe a particular shot.
Well now. This clip does not have FrameFlex applied yet (because it's 16:9? Just like the 4k AMA source?).
I can match frame to the 1080p clip in the Bin. Then choose Source Settings. Then reframe with FrameFlex, Apply and refresh sequence. But then all uses of that whole clip will be reframed in the timeline, while I only wanted this particular part of the clip being reframed and the other outtakes of this clip keep their original frame.

So question mainly is: How can I apply FrameFlex after the transcoding, without reframing? So that, when I edit into the timeline there is a FrameFlex applied already (which does nothing at that time), so that I can adjust the FrameFlex of individual clips via the Effect Editor?
(I tried to do so, but when you activate FrameFlex without changing its settings and click apply, it basically does not apply and so will edit into the timeline without FrameFlex adapter).

I hope that anyone can help
best
Rienk

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Yet another FrameFlex workflow issue..
on Nov 23, 2018 at 9:33:23 pm

[Rienk Lwendertse] "So the 4k GoPro footage will be AMA linked and then transcoded to XDCAM HD 35 (which is 1080p)."

Don't do this if you want to utilize FrameFlex...transcode THAT footage to DNxHR LB.

[Rienk Lwendertse] "The GoPro clips are 8 minutes long clips, of which only sometimes a part of that clip will need reframing.

How will I do that with FrameFlex?"

The only way to utilize FrameFlex is to keep the footage at the same frame size. So you need to transcode to an offline, 4K codec. DNxHR LB

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]