AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Preparing FS7 footage for AVID with out avid

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heather O'Connor
Preparing FS7 footage for AVID with out avid
on Sep 26, 2018 at 2:26:22 pm

We are about to do a shoot for a client and they are not going to use us for post. Their editor is going to be editing in avid and I think are asking us to transcode the footage before it gets delivered to them (I say I think bc this came through the client and they dont know what they are talking about).

We only work in premier and I know that there is a plug in for avid to transcode the footage but I am not sure what it is transcoding to.

Is this something I can do with out avid and if so how long do you think it will take to transcode 2 TB of 1080 footage?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Preparing FS7 footage for AVID with out avid
on Sep 26, 2018 at 11:26:53 pm

As an editor, and online editor...I can say that I would not want the shooters to transcode the footage for me. I want the camera masters, and the ability to do it myself. The post house that does get these has many options...one, get the NABLET plugin to convert the footage...or use Resolve to convert the footage. It all depends on how they intend to edit and finish the project. And because you don't know how they are going to do that, and because you cannot create Avid style media with Media Encoder.

Not sure what the client is asking, really. BUT, if they insist, then convert the footage using Media Encoder to DNxHD 175x or 220x Quicktime files...and provide those as well as the camera masters to them. And yes, bill for the time since they requested it. But yeah, give the masters in case Post has different (better) ideas on what to do.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Kondylas
Re: Preparing FS7 footage for AVID with out avid
on Sep 29, 2018 at 2:31:04 am

Transcoding is definitely something production is in charge of a good deal of the time if not always, ie the entire point of a DIT, right?

Why not start by reaching out to the editor and see if they can't send you their edit specifications. If they are asking for transcoded dailies, then they most likely have an edit spec sheet that describes what they will need. Either way I'd imagine you'd probably want to transcode to something along the lines of DNxHD 36, making sure to output as individual clips and keeping the original source name all of which can be done easily in the free version of Resolve.

Either way, you should definitely not just transcode to something random , ask them for their specifications.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]