AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Avid Media Composer 8.9.4 Titles Question

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kieran Nicholas
Avid Media Composer 8.9.4 Titles Question
on Jun 27, 2018 at 1:50:36 pm

Hey

I couldn't find anything specific to what I needed to ask in the Forum but it could be the way I worded it,
Anyway

I have to create a whole bunch of Titles for VFX and I was wondering, can I use excel for example to have all the titles ready & import these into Avid Titler to create the say 400 odd titles I need to make.

Any idea's or am I being a little silly and not noticing a button?

Regards

Live Long and Prosper

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Avid Media Composer 8.9.4 Titles Question
on Jun 29, 2018 at 2:35:11 am

I believe you are asking to use a database merge into the Avid title tool. The answer is no.

There used to be a script to do this in fusion but I have been unable to get it to work since Eyeon sold the program. Perhaps someone more skilled in scripting than I can get it working again.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Kieran Nicholas
on Jun 29, 2018 at 10:57:51 am

Dang Nammit.. I have been told to try Subcaps? Know anything about this ? I am going to do some research shortly to see how this is done as it could be a way to make all the shots etc I need & in the same format/font etc without having to do it manually

Regards
K

Live Long and Prosper

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jun 29, 2018 at 11:52:27 pm
Last Edited By Nina Lucia on Jun 30, 2018 at 12:06:02 am

Yes, do it in subcaps. I can't explain it properly as I have to play with it to remember it exactly, but you create one in subcap, then you can save that as a 'template'. Then you can trim that out over the entire area you are going to need the title on. Lift out any areas you don't need them on.

Now you will have the same title over each shot. Go to edit the second one, then there's a selection to edit master list or something like that. Select that and you will get a list of all your titles and you can edit the text of each one and it will remain in the same style as your first one, just the text will change.

Another method is using the subcap generator tool that I've used for vfx titling, but it limits what you can do with the text. It basically adds a suffix in incremental numbers, but I don't like the numbers it starts with so I haven't used it so much for the text but it will lay a subcap over each shot with the locator to length and then you just have to edit the text. So if you have a certain color locator on each shot you want a subcap on, then spit out an edl, open it in the tool at your finder/desktop level, it will find each of those shots and generate a subcap list that you then import back into Avid and it will place a subcap over each of those shots. I can't remember who made it and didn't find it with a quick google search.

This isn't the tool I have used but same idea, instructions are there at the link:
https://www.evanschiff.com/bd/articles/tag/subcap

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 30, 2018 at 2:40:24 pm

You can also have a nice list view and creation template system in New Blue Title fx, but I don't think you can import an existing list into it. It does have a nice way of looking at all your titles as a single list.

I'll have to look into Nina's subcap explanation. Seems to be reasonable as well.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Kieran Nicholas
on Jul 2, 2018 at 10:05:51 am

Thank you for this, this is actually making the labelling up simpler. Instead of doing my usual way of making loads of titles I can do just one subcap.

I will read through the automation part of the project as this will be handy when I can get hold of the cut I need for the time I need to do the markers.

Diamond
Cheers
K 😁

Live Long and Prosper

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]