AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Making new timeline messing up video tracks

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xaver Cendar
Making new timeline messing up video tracks
on Jun 27, 2018 at 8:37:57 am

Hi,
please can someone help me to solve this issue? My assistant prepared many timelines sorted by topic but they are still need to be copied to smaller parts. Because it's a B-roll footage its in V2. When I'm making new sequences the V2 track getting into V1 instead of V2 as I would like to have it. Is there some setting or something to avoid mixing tracks? Original sequence contains only V2 A1-A2 tracks. V1 was deleted in prep process.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Making new timeline messing up video tracks
on Jun 27, 2018 at 5:37:06 pm

Just target it to the track you want..I'm not sure I get the problem. You can patch any source video track to any timeline track you want.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Xaver Cendar
on Jun 28, 2018 at 8:09:37 am

Thanks for reply,
the problem is I don't want to target anything. Original timeline has clips only in V2. V1 is deleted so there is only one video track V2 as dedicated track for a B-roll footage. I want to be able to put something in new sequence without a time consuming repetitive work . On the end I need again sequence with only one video track V2. I have hundreds of timelines to cut to even more of them and time is the essence here. I'm not beginner so I know how to go around this problem but its time consuming when I have to make new video track, target it, add clip, delete unwanted empty video track instead of pushing one button (overwrite). Why there is the Auto-create new tracks setting when nothing is created? If I have to do it one or twice I wouldn't care but I have to do it for a couple of months.

Thanks for any advice

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 29, 2018 at 2:29:02 am
Last Edited By Glenn Sakatch on Jun 30, 2018 at 2:37:38 pm

Not sure i totally understand the problem here either. You have say 100 sequences, each with 1 video track. Lets say that track is called V2.

You want to cut those sequences, or part of those sequences into a new timeline that will also have only 1 video track, which you would like to have default to V2. You do not however want to take the enormous amount of time to hit a hotkey for new sequence followed by a hit key for create video track. (Say 3 seconds of wasted time per sequence...at 100 sequences...thats almost 5 minutes!

Yes you would then have to go and delete V1 off of each of these sequences. Lets say that takes another 5 minutes!

First question I would ask...if the sequence only has 1 video track, does it matter what it is label as? Im assuming you will still be using this sequence as a source at some point.

Solution 1:
Have you tried cutting everything onto V1 and then done a select everything command and simply moved the entire timeline up 1 track. I would think this would auto create a v2 track.

Yes you would still have to delete that pesky V1track...5 mins down the drain!

Solution 2:
In your settings tell Avid to automatically create all new sequences with 2 video tracks. This would save you the tedious 3 second task of having to create a new video track each time. Yes you still have to delete that darn V1...what is with V1? Its like it is just trying to drive you crazy!

Solution 3:
Create a macro to automate these keystrokes of creating a video track, and deleting V1....all with the push of 1 button. I know...I know...the pushing if that button does eat up valuable time. Lets say 1.5 seconds...Hey...i just saved 2.5 mins for every 100 sequences you have to do!

Glenn
(edited to fix bad thumb typos)

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jun 29, 2018 at 11:33:19 pm
Last Edited By Nina Lucia on Jun 29, 2018 at 11:35:46 pm

So are you saying you don't want to have an empty V1 track on your record side? If so, what is the reason for that? Does it matter if you keep an empty V1?

What would happen if you added back the V1 in the B-roll you're using as source? Then when you cut over to a new sequence at least the picture should land on V2. You would still have an empty V1 though. But easy to delete that once you're done building that sequence. Eliminates the step of creating V2 and moving everything up. You might have to change the setting for new sequences to create two video tracks as Glenn suggested.

Return to posts index

Graham Tees
on Jun 30, 2018 at 7:28:55 am

If you have a sequence with only one video track, doesn't Avid see that as V1 - irrespective of what it is named?

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jun 30, 2018 at 7:52:19 am

One other thing you can do if this helps you achieve your goal (which I'm not sure what the goal is), you can rename the video track. Right click on it and select Rename Track and call it B-Roll.

Or if you have to know which clips are B-Roll by looking at the timeline, why not color all those clips a certain color then use "local color" or whatever it's called as a setting in your timeline. Then wherever those clips land, you'll always know they are B-Roll.

If you can explain why you need to have the B-Roll on V2 and not have a V1 even if it's empty people can better help you come up with a solution. But I can't figure out why you can't have an empty V1 track or why you have to keep all your B-Roll on V2 when you are presumable making sequences that are only B-Roll selects, so you already know they are all B-Roll.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]