AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

RED 4K editing workflow in HD Project

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Vo
RED 4K editing workflow in HD Project
on Jun 13, 2018 at 9:03:25 pm

Hi all,

I apologize in advance for what I believe a common topic that has been discussed many many times, but I found a great post here that is similar to my situation and for some odd reason half the information was missing. I think it may have to do with me accidentally pressing "report post" and now those post won't show up anymore. Any how, I digress.

This is my first project editing RED footage in a HD 1920x1080 project. I've already edited 3 scenes with the RED footage but before I go any further, and avoiding in catastrophe along the way, I would like to ask all the professionals here a few questions. BTW, the first 3 scenes are fairly short so I just linked the RED files and start cutting from there (don't know if that's a smart move, but my workstation seems to be capable of handling it). Running MC 2018.4

1) Are there any specific settings I need to be on the lookout for?
I checked my Source Setiing and feel like I should do something here, but I'm unsure. The FrameFlex tab is what I'm most concerned about. The footage when linked is filling the entire monitor, and seems kind of stretched. There are 2 boxes I believe needs to be addressed and that's "SIZE MATCHES PROJECT RASTER" and "REFORMAT".

2) In regards to the FrameFlex tab, I've attached an image of my current FrameFlex setting.

The Raster Dimension, image size are identical, and the image aspect ratio is 2.40:1. On the FrameFlex box below, should my Frame aspect ratio be 16:9 and not set to custom (2.40:1)?
Should "Size matches project raster" be check or left alone?
On "Reformat" it's on stretch, but I believe it should be set to "pillarbox/letterbox" or perhaps "center crop".

3) is there a specific workflow in regards to my project moving forward?
Since I linked all the RED files (conventional method would be to transcode first, but since this project is a freebie, I decided to experiment a little), should I just continue down this path? Any possible issues that might rear it's ugly head?

The image I've attached are the setting I've been editing my files to. If for instance, my settings are incorrect, would I then have to match frame back the linked files, apply the correct FrameFlex setting, and edit that all back in the timeline for every clip? If so, is there a global selection to apply those setting in the timeline?

I know this is a lengthy post, so I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this. Thanks everyone!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: RED 4K editing workflow in HD Project
on Jun 14, 2018 at 12:49:19 pm

First thing is that your source footage is 2.4.0:1 and you are editing in 16:9. Using "stretch means the aspect ratio is not correct. In order to see 2.40 you would have to select letterbox/pillarbox in the reformat menu at the bottom. I suspect you are mastering as 2.40 letterbox or delivery?

Another setting to check in Media Creations - it's no longer called "debayer" but it allows you to select 1/2, 1/2 good, 1/4, etc. which will give you a bit more performance should you need it.

When editing this way, and you are done - no need to relink or change any settings on the source (i your happy with your color settings). Any FrameFlex changes would be on the timeline should you want to re-compose a shot, etc. Just remember to reset your Media Creating settings to Full before transcoding or final master and delivery.

Michael

Return to posts index

Phil Vo
on Jun 14, 2018 at 6:08:52 pm

Hi Michael,

Super awesome of you taking the time to respond to my post. Really appreciate it. A few things to clarify.

1) If my project delivery is to be 2.40, than on the FrameFlex box, I would leave the Frame aspect ratio as is (2.40:1), but under "Reformat", it should be selected to "pillarbox/letterbox" correct? That kind of looks right on my end.

2a) Now I believe my delivery will be 1920x1080 by 16:9. If so, should the Frame aspect ratio be 16:9? Under "Reformat", should it be left as "stretch" or "center crop".

2b) If I edited a good portion of the film with the Frame aspect ratio of 2.40:1, and now have to revert back to an HD 1920x1080 16:9 output, would I have to match frame back all the linked clips in the timeline and apply the correct Frameflex setting to each and every clip? Would the applied Frameflex setting be updated in the timeline or would I have to edited that back in?

Regarding "debayer", I'm running Avid MC 2018 and that option is now under the "Format" tab, and a check box called "proxy". There you can change the resolution for performance if I'm correct. My workstation seems to be capable of editing 4K footage while linking, but was curious if the path I took could spell trouble down the line.

Thanks a bunch Michael!

Return to posts index

Phil Vo
on Jun 17, 2018 at 5:04:51 pm

😢😐

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]