AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

FCP X to Avid Media Composer without creating new media

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melissa Warren
FCP X to Avid Media Composer without creating new media
on May 22, 2018 at 3:01:36 pm

Hi

I have been away from my edit desk for a few years and am now returning to the profession. The first job I have is working with an existing sequence that was previously cut in FCP X. I am an Avid fan and really don't want to have to work in FCP so am trying to get the sequence into Avid MC. I have worked out how to do this using an FCPxml into Resolve and then exporting an AAF file. However it involves re-creating all of the sequence media when actually I have the original media and don't want to create new media.

I've managed to get the sequence into Avid by exporting an AAF from Resolve (without transcoding the media with the export). I can see the sequence but obviously it's all offline. So I thought I my be able to relink it using AMA to the original (I can see all the clip names in the sequence and they correspond to the original media on my drive) so each time the sequence is moved between Avid and FCP its referencing the same media. However I cannot get Avid to relink to the original media. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks so much. Mel

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP X to Avid Media Composer without creating new media
on May 22, 2018 at 5:34:00 pm

[Melissa Warren] " However it involves re-creating all of the sequence media when actually I have the original media and don't want to create new media. "

Sorry, but that's what you'll need to do if you want to do this. You can TRY to AMA link the footage in Avid and then link that to the sequence you bring from Resolve, but I haven't heard many people have success with that.

[Melissa Warren] "However I cannot get Avid to relink to the original media. Does anyone know if this is possible? "

I'm not sure what happens to the metadata, but when I tried this myself, I got maybe 1/4 of the clips to relink...and with maximum effort. But when I transcoded, it was fine. Avid really prefers transcoded media anyway, so doing that would be fine.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Phil Vo
Re: FCP X to Avid Media Composer without creating new media
on Jun 17, 2018 at 5:03:40 pm

I'm actually dealing with a similar scenario.

Shane, are you stating that I should transcode the offline sequence in Avid for my media to be back online?

Melissa, any luck relinking all your offline media? Any other methods you may have attempt to get your media back online?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]