AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

What happened to AMA linking from existing clips in a bin?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nina Lucia
What happened to AMA linking from existing clips in a bin?
on May 11, 2018 at 11:58:04 pm
Last Edited By Nina Lucia on May 12, 2018 at 2:40:28 am

Just upgraded from 8.3.1 to 8.9.4 and cannot find a way to AMA link an existing clip/media file that has moved directories. Is there still a way to do this? In 8.3.1 you just right clicked and AMA linked and navigated to the location of the source file.

I've received a project where syncing had been done via AMA linking rather than creating Avid media and then it was copied onto a drive for me and I need to relink everything.

I've discovered that if I option-drag the picture clips into a bin the existing clips in the other bin will link up as if they are the same clip. However, this is not working for the sound wav files.

So I need to be able to link the existing sound clips to the media that they were linked to before but find no way to do that. All the file menus are different and so many things have been moved around I'm hoping I just haven't found it yet, but I have this nagging feeling that I've read that this option isn't there any more.

So is this method hidden somewhere that I can't find?

Found the 'Source Browser' but that doesn't help my situation - at least not that I have found - as using it still doesn't let me link the original clips that were AMA'd. It makes new AMA clips which don't link to the existing clips' media (same media though, just copied to another drive) so the already synced clips have offline audio.

Don't want to have to resync everything. Is there a solution? Maybe I will go back to 8.3.1 to deal with this. I think Avid may have maimed the AMA process though, but I must just be missing something.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: What happened to AMA linking from existing clips in a bin?
on May 12, 2018 at 4:07:20 am

Right click on the Clip or Clips and select Relink to Files....

That will open up a dialogue box that will allow you to navigate to the folder where your clip or clips reside.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on May 12, 2018 at 4:24:08 am
Last Edited By Nina Lucia on May 12, 2018 at 4:34:10 am

EDIT -

Okay, I see it for a picture clip but it's greyed out for audio clips. So is there really no way to relink an audio clip that was AMA'd? That's weird!

I'm having the asst who synced the dailies try transcoding the audio clips to see if he can send me the Avid media for the audio so I can get the audio online then transcode the picture. Do you know offhand if the audio he will send me should link up on my end? We're in different states so looking for a fast solution without having to resync everything.

We are in the process of doing a test on two clips now.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on May 12, 2018 at 5:06:06 am
Last Edited By Brent Marginet on May 12, 2018 at 5:07:04 am

Usually it's greyed out if they were imported instead of AMA Linked although I've run into issues with Avid just plain refusing to let me Relink to AMA Linked files. I really hate AMA and just plain avoid it unless it's for 1 or 2 clips here and there. I will then either transcode them or do video mix downs so I don't have to deal with the constant relink issues.

I believe that the "Relink to Files" was changed somewhere between 8.4.5 and 8.7.2 but I don't remember exactly which version it was. Avid completely changed all there menus and right click menus at some point after 8.3.x that confused the hell out of a lot of us for awhile.

If your on a Mac I've had success in some cases going to ~/Shared/AvidMediaComposer/AMA Management Folder and moved the Folder to my desktop that pertains to the Bin your having issues with. Just don't trash it until you know for sure that removing it from there doesn't cause other issues.

If your on a PC I'm not sure where it's located.

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on May 12, 2018 at 5:32:17 am

Thanks for the replies.

I've moved out all Avid folders to another drive when I installed the various versions since the uninstall process leaves behind many Avid items. No changes from before or after moving.

It was interesting to me finding that folder. I didn't know it existed. Something to probably clean out from time to time...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]