AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

AUDIO SYNC SLIP WITH u-LAW files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy Smith
AUDIO SYNC SLIP WITH u-LAW files
on May 3, 2018 at 7:02:55 pm

I'm trying to sync phone call files which are u-Law 2:1 format audio files to my Avid project and coming across some weird sync issue. The audio is slipping throughout the timeline as it moves down. What I found weird is Avid isn't asking me AUDIO START-TIME OPTIONS so I don't have the option to bring in the files, when I import they just come in. I tried all different ways to convert to wav. files and change the bit rates and still having the same issue. I also import in high res so it isn't that issue.

Has anyone tried to sync u-Law files to regular wav. files? My project is 29.97 DF.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: AUDIO SYNC SLIP WITH u-LAW files
on May 3, 2018 at 10:11:31 pm

MC only asks you for start time options of it finds a timecode stamp in the source file. That start time option bears no relevance to actual speed, since that is determined by the sample rate of the file.
My first guess would be that the μ-law could be compressing silences in the track, but I’ll admit that I have zero experience with this type of files.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 4, 2018 at 1:43:32 pm

What happens if you convert a test problem audio file to wav?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jimmy Smith
on May 4, 2018 at 2:48:15 pm

No change in the length of the files. The audio files are also longer than real time phone calls from our video files. So the u-law files are somehow expanding the audio.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 4, 2018 at 6:47:45 pm

Sampling rate, perhaps? 44.1K vs 48K?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jimmy Smith
on May 4, 2018 at 9:17:09 pm

Yeah that could be the issue although when I convert it to match what we have it's slipping. I found that it slips 10 seconds for every 15 minutes.

The format for the files are:

u-law 2:1, 2 channels, 8000hz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]