AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Exporting AAF issue

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Harper
Exporting AAF issue
on Apr 30, 2018 at 6:13:15 pm

Hi all,

I'm attempting to export an embedded AAF file to be sent to ProTools, but I continuously get this error message;
"Exception: Operation not supported, filename:/Volumes/BC/OMFI Media Files/Creating/creating0"

Now I think I may know where the issue is stemming from, as I've read a couple of posts talking about this. The edit is being done on two external drives, both formatted as ExFat. And for some reason, the AvidMediaFiles folder is on a different drive to the project folder (I've had to take over from another editor) which I imagine can't be helping either.

I have tried the other methods (copy/link) but they also fail. If what I alluded to above is the issue, does anyone know a solution? Otherwise I've attached a screenshot of my export settings in case it's something else.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Exporting AAF issue
on Apr 30, 2018 at 9:42:00 pm

[Adam Harper] "for some reason, the AvidMediaFiles folder is on a different drive to the project folder"

This is pretty much always the case. Projects stored on your SYSTEM drive, media on a separate MEDIA drive. Fairly standard, so that's not it.

Did you duplicate the sequence and strip out all the video? So it's only audio? Another method is to consolidate the audio (again, duplicating and striping out video) and then make an AAF that's linked to the audio. Do that BEFORE you make the AAF.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on May 2, 2018 at 5:58:55 pm

Hi Shane,

I tried stripping the video and it produced the same error message.
How do I consolidate the audio prior to making the AAF, is that the audio mixdown?

In regards to the project folder, I'm sure you knew what I meant the first time round but I just feel I should make it clear that I mean the project folder is on a different external hard drive to the AvidMediaFiles folder. The error does seem to indicate towards the external hard drive (BC) containing the AvidMediaFiles folder in it's error message.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 2, 2018 at 6:08:55 pm

[Adam Harper] "How do I consolidate the audio prior to making the AAF, is that the audio mixdown? "

Not a mixdown. DON'T EVER AUDIO MIXDOWN...unless it's temp, and you keep ALL the audio on the timeline for the eventual send to the audio mixer. Never send them a mixdown. No, you simply highlight the sequence, go the the CLIP menu and choose CONSOLIDATE. Then in the dialog, choose an a location, and handle amount, and then consolidate.

[Adam Harper] "but I just feel I should make it clear that I mean the project folder is on a different external hard drive to the AvidMediaFiles folder"

That's clear. That's how it should always be. The Avid MediaFiles folder should ONLY have media. And your PROJECT folders should be on your System Drive in the DOCUMENTS folder.

[Adam Harper] " The error does seem to indicate towards the external hard drive (BC) containing the AvidMediaFiles folder in it's error message. "

Correct..because the error has to do with the media. Hoping a consolidate will solve.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on May 2, 2018 at 7:07:06 pm

I felt it wasn't the mixdown, but just wanted to be sure.

Initially couldn't consolidate it, it was just coming up with this error message;

But then I realised I wasn't saving it to the drive with the AvidMediaFiles folder, then it appeared to have worked.

Unfortunately, regardless of whether I consolidate the AAF or link to the media, or whichever hard drive I try get it to save to. It still comes up with the same message.

These are the settings I'm using when consolidating, in case if anything is wrong there. (I'm not sure why it's talking about video when there's no video in the sequence?)

The project isn't in my documents folder, is that potentially an issue?

Feel free to ask for more screenshots if things aren't clear.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 2, 2018 at 7:11:41 pm

Go into your OMFI folder, and delete the CREATING folder. You can do that safely. Then try.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on May 2, 2018 at 7:18:43 pm

Sadly it still comes up with the same error 😓

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 2, 2018 at 8:36:39 pm

Are you on Facebook? There's a very active Avid group on Facebook with LOTS of people who might know...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2244549459/

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 4, 2018 at 1:00:50 am

I'm pretty sure the problem is the ExFAT format. Consolidating and AAF export are broken when ExFAT is involved, in my experience......well....actually I ran into this years ago and avoided using it since. Surprised Avid hasn't corrected the issue.

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on May 6, 2018 at 5:21:34 pm

I have read a couple of threads which suggest this might be the issue, it does seem strange that it has yet to be solved.
I'm guessing the only solution would be to shift everything to a Mac formatted drive.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 8, 2018 at 12:33:34 am

Or install NTFS for Mac, which works very well, if you need cross platform drives

Return to posts index

Adam Harper
on May 9, 2018 at 6:57:13 am

Just switched everything to a Mac formatted drive and that worked!

Seems so bizarre that this should still be an issue for Avid.

Return to posts index

Anan Tha
on May 9, 2018 at 2:46:49 pm

Hello.

I am having exactly same issue as posted. Like mentioned - I had two drives both formatted in NTFS (Using Paragon) one housing the project files and the other housing the Avid Media Files folder. I tried exporting an Audio only AAF for sound mix - with the Error mentioned in the OP. My settings were exactly as posted above with the only requirement being that the AAF must have the Audio embedded so inking to Media is not an option.
First I moved the project files into the same drive as the media, and made sure the media creation settings are all pointing to the one drive.
When I tried to Consolidate with a handle of 1min it gave the above error.
When I tried Copy Media - it just hung on me multiple times.

Then, like you suggested, I duplicated the sequence, deleted the Video tracks, and consolidated the entire sequence into the Second Hard Disk (Now erased and reformatted to MacOS Journaled). I copied my project folder and ejected the NTFS harddisk.

I reopened the project from the Second Harddisk and I tried exporting the AAF with the same settings.

When I tried to consolidate and export an Audio Embedded AAF it returned - "Exception Disk Access denies, filename: creating"
When I tried to Copy Media and export an Audio Embedded AAF it was successful.
(I'm waiting to hear from my sound guy if this works and if it does, I'll have to follow the same process for all the other sequences. Im assuming this AAF will be larger than the consolidated one. If I cant ill do it, but id rather find out what Im doing wrong)

I'm trying to understand why consolidation didnt work in both the cases since it doesn't seem to be an issue with the Hard Disk file structures. Is there anything about permissions Im missing? (I tried exporting to the system Drive but it wasn't working either). I tried checking the Video Mixdown and export as .h264 800kbps Proxy but that returned an error too

Specs: I'm using a Seagate NTFS with Paragon which stores both the Avid Media Files and the project files. The second Harddisk is MAC OS formatted, houses a copy of the project files and the consolidated sequences clips in the AVM folder.
I'm running Avid Media Composer 8.4.4 on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4, 2.7Ghz,i5, 8GB DD3

The footage is all GoPro, first AMA linked and then Transcoded and the Audio was imported.

There is no issue with corrupted clips or timelines since I was able to export a low res DNXHD36 video file as a ref for Audio Mix.

Please help.

Return to posts index

Anantha Perumal
on May 9, 2018 at 3:32:17 pm

Just an update -

After consolidating into the new Mac Formatted External harddrive and trying to consolidate and export an embedded AAF it returned an error when I stick to the project settings (PCM). When I force it to convert to .WAV the export goes through with an OMFI folder created on my HardDisk Root.

What am I missing here? Also will my sound guy need these OMFI files or are they embedded into the AAF?

Much Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]