AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

AVID MediaCentral

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Harris
AVID MediaCentral
on Apr 9, 2018 at 10:10:22 am

With the big announcements from AVID at NAB recently I've been very interested in MediaCentral. Does anybody use it and know what it actually does? It's hard to find a decent non-salesy answer on their website.

It says in some parts that it is for NEXIS but that it can also be installed on HP/Dell server configurations or Linux 6.5.. is this the solution to a non-NEXIS NAS workflow we've been waiting for?

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
Re: AVID MediaCentral
on Apr 9, 2018 at 1:25:50 pm

I think it allows you to do a bunch of stuff - remotely. Logging/sorting/editing etc depending on options you buy.

It probably requires NEXIS at least, maybe ask at community.avid.com/forums or ask avid on Twitter?

http://www.avidblogs.com/mediacentral-editorial-management/?utm_campaign=or...

Look at MIMIQ for non-Nexis NAS workflow? Although that might be broken with new bin/project sharing arrangement requiring ‘Ultimate’

Return to posts index

Ben Harris
on Apr 9, 2018 at 2:46:29 pm

Thanks for you answer Trevor. I've gotten in touch with Avid directly but I think you're spot on with your explanation having delved deeper into it (I will report back if anything changes).

As a side note, I've been in contact with the guys at Indiestor (MIMIQ) recently as we are looking in to using that for our workflow and they have just assured me that MIMIQ works smoothly with the new upgrade 18.4 Ultimate if anybody is looking at this for reference

Ben

Return to posts index

Dennis Kutchera
on Apr 9, 2018 at 10:58:31 pm

Mimiq is pretty basic bin locking software that is somewhat like Avid Interplay. It just plays traffic cop so two editors can't write to the same bin or mediafile folder at the same time. It's fairly crude, but it works. Media Central is replacing Interplay and is much more of an advanced media asset and project management environment.

Dennis Kutchera
Online Editor / Colourist
Halifax, Canada

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Apr 10, 2018 at 6:37:17 am

Glad to hear mimiq alive & well - it’s nothing like Interplay though, it just replicates bin-locking for shared bins.

Return to posts index

alex gardiner
on Apr 10, 2018 at 8:35:23 am

[Trevor Asquerthian] "it’s nothing like Interplay though, it just replicates bin-locking for shared bins."

Trevor hit the nail on the head.

You can access basic bin-locking and media-sharing workflows in the same fashion as any other third-party (Editshare, Facilis, SANFusion etc).

The key is in the phrase 'third-party'. As of MC 8.8 you'll see this splash screen when opening a project for the first time...

For the latest workflows you'll need to invest in NEXIS/Media Central. Considering what these tools can do the cost is reasonable.

AVID have the brightest future in this space - my view is that they are without peers at the moment. I'm pleased they have a new direction and somebody new to lead them forward.

Storage Engineer
alex@indiestor.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 12, 2018 at 2:06:29 am

I am not sure if Ben is looking for an Interplay type system, or just the ability to use Media Composer on a generic shared storage system. If it's the latter (use Media Composer systems with a cheap NAS box) - I can assure you that
Indiestor Mimiq works perfectly, and does bin locking perfectly.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]