AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Troubleshooting Subcap Effect

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melissa Jayne
Troubleshooting Subcap Effect
on Mar 30, 2018 at 6:18:50 pm

I'm having trouble importing Avid DS files with subcap generator. The most success I've had is importing chunks at a time (most 150 captions). I've searched for text file errors - tiemcode overlaps or repeats but to no avail. What are all of the possible errors to look for in a DS file? when I go to import, it says it'll splice in the all of the text, but when I hit 'Open' nothing happens.

How do I troubleshoot this? Any tips or advice is appreciated!

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Troubleshooting Subcap Effect
on Mar 30, 2018 at 8:14:37 pm

Not sure this helps but I've never had any issues with STL files but plenty with the Avid DS Files so I just don't use them anymore.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Mar 31, 2018 at 7:56:42 am

Well, i have had plenty of troube with (EBU) STL files.
It has become a bastard format. Basic stuff works, but sometimes characters with accents are wrongly encoded.

For the OP, any trouble is due to overlapping timecodes, negative durations, or timecodes outside the source SubCap effect clip.
An easy way would be to use my Subbits. Import the file, go to the first title and select " Find potential trouble" from the menu.
The free demo is good enough. You can't export more than 8 titles, but it will tell you where the trouble is.
https://www.videotoolshed.com/product/subbits-subtitler/

hth,

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Apr 2, 2018 at 1:52:07 am

It astounds me that with all the technology we have today that anything to do with "plain fricking text" is always so damned difficult to deal with. It's always CC and Subtile Files that everyone is struggling with, including myself. I've pretty much given up trying to understand regular expressions and how to get them to do what I want for other types of text file work too. Anyway I digress.

Has anyone tried SUB Simple by Resolver. I know it's not for Avid but I've been meaning to try the online version and if it works I'd pay the $29 to do Subtitles in Resolve. Especially if it's better than the Avid and Premiere Subtitling Tools.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]