AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Upgrading from 6.x to 8.x

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Crenshaw
Upgrading from 6.x to 8.x
on Mar 30, 2018 at 3:36:22 pm
Last Edited By Mark Crenshaw on Mar 30, 2018 at 4:26:35 pm

We've been using PPro for the last few years. Our workflow shifted to 4K before we expected it would and at the time, Adobe was the easy solution. What this created was a gap in our Avid upgrades. We currently have a Nitris DX at MC6.x, HP Z820, 16 cores, 32 gig of ram. Win 7 Pro.

Since I've been out of the loop, I've missed a lot of the conversation about upgrades. I have the software part figured out but I'm curious how much if any use the Nitris box has at this point. Can it be upgraded or are there other hardware options supported? At this point I'm thinking monitoring would be my main concern. Has Avid solved the 4K display issues that were around last year?

We also have a Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K. Perhaps this would allow me to monitor 4K over thunderbolt from the HP?

Any guidance or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Mark

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Upgrading from 6.x to 8.x
on Mar 30, 2018 at 6:02:33 pm

The DX is a good HD solution only. For 4K, Avid has the Avid DNxIO...which is basically the BlackMagic UltraStudio Extreme 4K, only more expensive. So yes, what you have will work fine with Avid and your setup.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Crenshaw
on Mar 30, 2018 at 6:56:09 pm

Thanks Shane. Much appreciated!

Mark

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Mar 30, 2018 at 9:03:43 pm

I've used my Nitris DX with UHD and 4K Projects, it just down converts the output to 1080.

Of course the only issue is that you would need a monitor that can squeeze the Video to the correct aspect ratio in frame sizes other than UHD or you will be viewing your video slightly stretched.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Mark Crenshaw
on Apr 2, 2018 at 2:56:24 pm

Thanks Brent. Good info.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]