AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Vertical Video Workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Norton
Vertical Video Workflow
on Mar 24, 2018 at 1:09:00 pm

I have to set up a project for a vertical video for another editor to cut. It's a first for both of us so we're some issue. It's a part museum piece with multiple screens some horizontal and some vertical. I've figured out how to set up the project so that it has the correct aspect ratio, the issue I'm having is bringing in the footage. It was shot on a Red Camera, but set on it's side. So the video is shot vertical but unlike cellphone video it isn't rotated. I've found plenty on using vertical footage on forums but nothing quite like this.

Is there a way to rotate the video on the source side before transcoding? I've been playing around with the frameflex settings but I can't seem to get the footage to rotate without cropping out parts or stretching it.

It's 6K footage shot on a Red camera and I'm using MC 8.9.

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Vertical Video Workflow
on Mar 24, 2018 at 1:13:01 pm

Here is my blog regarding vertical video. Nothing has changed to better the process with more recent versions.

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=233

Michael

Return to posts index

Peter Norton
on Mar 24, 2018 at 2:05:05 pm

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm installing Resolve.

-Pete

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 24, 2018 at 3:39:59 pm

Last time I did this, before Avid had custom frame size projects, I just rotated the monitor to edit and then rotated the final product in After Effects for export.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]