AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Create Bootable Avid MC USB Drive?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricky Kreitman
Create Bootable Avid MC USB Drive?
on Mar 19, 2018 at 11:42:06 pm

I purchased a license for MC a few years ago. The version I have won't run on the new Mac OS. I'd like to upgrade my mac.

Rather than stripe the internal hard drive and install 2 different operating systems, is it feasible to clone my existing hard drive onto an external USB drive and use that to boot from and run Media Composer when I need it?

Any limitations anyone can think of?

Thank you-
RICKY

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Create Bootable Avid MC USB Drive?
on Mar 20, 2018 at 2:05:46 am

There's going to be a pretty severe performance penalty even if it's a USB 3 Stick in a USB 3 Port. If it's a USB 2 Stick or a USB 2 Port you'll likely want to chuck your machine after 10 minutes of running it off a USB Stick. No matter how fast USB Sticks are they're extremely slow even compared to a Hard Drive and have no caching or buffering.

I usually use an SSD and spilt it in half for a dual boot system. Also make sure to hide the boot partition that's not being used with fstab so the one OS doesn't corrupt the other one.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]