AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Trying to install with Avid Media Composer Sorenson Squeeze Lite 10 on High Sierra OS

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Baker
Trying to install with Avid Media Composer Sorenson Squeeze Lite 10 on High Sierra OS
on Feb 16, 2018 at 12:34:11 am

Ugh.

New iMac running High Sierra, and Avid can't get Sorenson Squeeze to support the version of Squeeze that comes with the software package on High Sierra. (Version 10 Lite):

"The serial number squeeze found may be for a different product. Please reinstall using the correct install and serial number."

It took an email and two phone calls to get someone to explain why there is an error message when you try to install.

The person at Avid gave me two options:

1. Roll back the OS on this new iMac from High Sierra to El Capitan (don't even know if I can since this is a new computer, and Apple tends to restrict that type of action with new releases.)

2. Pay for Sorenson Squeeze 11.

Question for Forum. If I pay for Sorenson Squeeze 11, which version would you recommend? I'm using it for massive batch transcode projects out of Avid Projects/Bins.

Open to other software / approaches!

Thanks,

SB

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Trying to install with Avid Media Composer Sorenson Squeeze Lite 10 on High Sierra OS
on Feb 16, 2018 at 1:06:26 am

If this is a newer computer, you can't roll back the OS. The OS it ships with is typically the one that it has to remain at. If the machine was introduced when a previous OS was out, then you can go back to that one...but that's it.

So if the version of Sorenson that came with Avid doesn't work with this OS version, you'll need to update.

[Stuart Baker] "Question for Forum. If I pay for Sorenson Squeeze 11, which version would you recommend? I'm using it for massive batch transcode projects out of Avid Projects/Bins."

Transcodes to what? Producer dailies? Final delivery? Looking at the options, DESKTOP fits most editor needs, but again, you need to look at what you need to transcode, and see which of the versions best suits that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Stuart Baker
Re: Trying to install with Avid Media Composer Sorenson Squeeze Lite 10 on High Sierra OS
on Feb 16, 2018 at 1:25:48 am

"Transcodes to what? Producer dailies? Final delivery? Looking at the options, DESKTOP fits most editor needs, but again, you need to look at what you need to transcode, and see which of the versions best suits that."

Hundreds of hours of dailies. Is there any benefit to Pro over Desktop for this purpose?

Thanks,

SB

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 16, 2018 at 3:03:38 am

[Stuart Baker] "Hundreds of hours of dailies"

For producers to watch? Transcribers? What will you be transcoding to?

I only have Desktop, so I can't say what the benefit is.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Stuart Baker
on Feb 16, 2018 at 4:24:38 pm

Ok thanks for the feedback Shane. I will look into the difference between desktop and pro.

Return to posts index

Stuart Baker
on Feb 16, 2018 at 9:27:50 pm

Update- I checked with Apple Support, and they say I should be able to roll back High Sierra to El Capitan on the iMac I purchased. I'm hoping this is the case, and I was simply misinformed of my options. If I can do the rollback, I can run Sorenson Squeeze 10. All will be well.

SB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]