AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Is there a way to save a custom column view for find results?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy See
Is there a way to save a custom column view for find results?
on Feb 8, 2018 at 6:31:13 am

I have very extensive tagging of shots in a large documentary project, this works very well with find, however, the results of the find operation lose a lot of their usefulness when they're presented without the correct columns visible. It's possible to perform a find operation, get correct results, and then select columns such that you see the columns that will be useful but this is arduous and not only that but one mightn't necessarily know which columns are the ones in which the specific keyword was tagged, or which additional columns would give the tag the surrounding context necessary to assist in finding things.

The project is logged using custom bin views which all have the same columns, so any information that exists is going to be in those columns, therefore they're always going to need to be visible when using Avid's find window, whereas most of the standard columns that show up will most of the time not be needed and just get in the way. Is there a way for me to save a column layout in the find window so that only the useful columns are selected by default and all other columns are hidden unless otherwise specified?

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Is there a way to save a custom column view for find results?
on Feb 8, 2018 at 9:12:04 pm

Just create your own custom Bin Layouts.

At the bottom of each bin you can save your own layouts.
Then if you don't need it later on just go to Settings and Delete it.

Once you create a Bin layout you will be able to use it on another system after you open that Bin and do a Save As. Kind of to bad that Avid doesn't automatically import the Bin Layout on another system but you can at least transfer them by doing the Save As. Here's a snapshot of my Custom Bin Layouts.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Jimmy See
on Feb 9, 2018 at 12:45:35 am

Thanks Brent, actually my problem is that I want to save and load custom bin views in the find/search window, the one accessible by typing ctrl/cmd+f. In fact I discovered shortly after posting something I swear wasn't happening before, which is that when you choose which columns to view and which to hide in some search results, those same choices persist the next time you perform a search, automatically. This actually almost answers my question except, it doesn't do this after closing Avid which means at least once a day it's necessary to manually select the columns. It also doesn't help if there are multiple custom bin views one might like to use for searching but in my case that's fine.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 9, 2018 at 3:04:15 am

No you can't. It's been requested since FIND was released in v5.5.

Michael

Return to posts index

Jimmy See
on Feb 9, 2018 at 4:37:32 am

Bummer, hope it makes its way in some decade. I'd also love if they could implement some kind of 'smart bins' too that collect clips based upon saved searches and update whenever new media is tagged with characteristics matching those searches. That latter idea I thought was something clever I'd thought of but then I saw a forum post somewhere suggesting the idea back in 2005. Evidently Avid were not keen.

Thanks for letting me know anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]