AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Finding Duplicate MXF files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Diamond
Finding Duplicate MXF files
on Feb 4, 2018 at 6:59:55 pm

Hello,

A client has asked me to organize their media. They have imported media and transferred media from drives with no real thought to media management. Now they need to clean out space and want to clear out all the duplicate .mxf files.

My thought is this: Either sort at the mxf folder level by name or file size, and then any duplicates I find delete one of them. But what if they're spread through multiple folders? How would I find them? I also worry that this approach might delete the file they used in a sequence. In terms of Reveal File, if they only have one clip in the bin, then reveal file would only point to one .mxf, correct?

There's multiple projects. Do I need to consolidate all the sequences with handles and delete original media? Would that do it, or is there a foolproof way to do this? Or is there a program out there that does this for you? (That last one may be a silly question, I realize.)

Lot of questions so thank you!!

Jake Diamond
Freelance Editor
jakediamondnyc.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Finding Duplicate MXF files
on Feb 5, 2018 at 3:02:57 am

What makes you think there's duplicate media? Your importing steps doesn't sound like it would have duplicated anything

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jake Diamond
on Feb 5, 2018 at 5:08:00 pm

Shane,

That's what the client told me - the two guys running the small post house both loaded in media, some copying from drives, some importing without telling the other one or consideration for storage issues. I'm coming in having never worked there before.

Thanks,

Jake Diamond
Freelance Editor
jakediamondnyc.com

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 5, 2018 at 10:56:23 pm

Go to Media Tool and select all project, all drives (assuming they are all attached) and sort by Source File and Tape (depending on how media got ingested). Look for similar names then timecode ranges to see if they are the same. Manage accordingly.

Michael

Return to posts index

Jake Diamond
on Feb 6, 2018 at 11:40:54 am

Makes sense. Just couldn't wrap my head around it.

Thank you!!

Jake

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]