AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

AutoSync problem

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron DeMarse
AutoSync problem
on Jan 30, 2018 at 9:03:10 pm

I'm running Media Composer 8.10.0 and trying to AutoSync linked media. Prior to a recent update, this process was working fine with the exact clips that I'm trying to sync now. Not sure what went wrong with the move to 8.10.0. There is no consistent timecode on the clips, so I'm marking inpoints for each video and audio clip on a manual clapper. When I AutoSync, it creates a "sync clip" but the clips aren't actually in sync (or even close to it). If I import the clips (instead of linking), the same process works fine. Unfortunately, that's not a good option for this current project.

Any idea what could be causing the problem? I'm happy to supply any information (or sample clips) that could help get to the bottom of it.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: AutoSync problem
on Jan 31, 2018 at 2:37:34 pm

I believe I came across a similar issue in MC 2018.1 where linking to WAV files had the wrong timecode. I posted the issue on Avid Editors of Facebook in hopes Avid would see it as they do monitor that group more than others. It may be a bug that started in 8.10 but I did not do any similar tests to know for sure. Awaiting an Avid response...

Michael

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jan 31, 2018 at 7:56:55 pm

I used AutoSync on both PC/Mac for the last few hundred RED files.
I tried both AMA and Transcoded files with same results.
Basically, hit and miss.
I think I got 40% done with no issues.
But when it fails, it's horrible.

Return to posts index

Ron DeMarse
on Feb 1, 2018 at 3:06:09 am

Thanks a lot, Michael and Eric, for the replies. If you spot any solutions elsewhere, please let me know. I'll do the same. In my desperate search for a solution, I came across the "AutoSync WTF" thread that you both contributed to. I'm sorry to hear there still hasn't been a solution.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 1, 2018 at 2:13:10 pm

There are separate issues here that affect sync reliability. Some are MC related, and some are not:

• Timecode is not properly set or functioning on set and while each of the sources has timecode, they don't have much to do with each other. Could be 1 frame to minutes off depending on the issue.

• Some cameras have a 1 frame offset with their own audio due to whatever internal processing is going on.
  • Timecodes do match, but eye/ear sync still has them off by whatever amount. Mike distance and other factors play in here. See my blog on this: http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=169 and http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=16

• 4. MC behavior in general. For sources that have no timecode, import will give it a 01:00:00:00 start while AMA linking will give the same file a 00:00:00:00 start (the correct one)

• 5. MC Bug as noted in later releases, I can AMA link to my same test files over the past 10 years and in recent versions, the timecode is incorrect with AMA link. Import is correct.

Michael

Return to posts index

Ron DeMarse
on Feb 2, 2018 at 8:32:27 pm

Thanks again, Michael!

For the clips in questions, I've been trying to manually sync them with the slates/clapboards, and the resulting sync clip is so far off (both played at regular speed and frame-by-frame) that it's clear there's some sort of error. I'll double-check the assigned TC properties (per your #4), but I have a feeling it's a bug (#5).

The AMA Linking seemed like a good system and a nice parallel to Adobe and FCP, but I'm getting the sense that it's definitely NOT the way to go with MC. Is that a fair assessment? Should I be making it a point to import/transcode everything, and just avoiding the links?

I really appreciate the insight!

Ron

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Feb 2, 2018 at 8:55:56 pm

[Ron DeMarse] " I came across the "AutoSync WTF" thread that you both contributed to. I'm sorry to hear there still hasn't been a solution."

Over the years I've had way too much time dealing with Audio Sync in all NLEs.

I had a feature done using the perf method and that was brutal in Avid.

Tried PluralEyes but you have to be solid in both Audio and Video.

Then after a few features using FCPX Wav sync, I think I'm done trying to find an option.

You would think all films are done with proper Timecode :P

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]