AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Color Grading in Avid: too dark

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julia Dunlavey
Color Grading in Avid: too dark
on Jan 29, 2018 at 4:19:43 pm

I'm fairly new to Avid, and very new to color correction. I've been grappling with this footage for a while and can't seem to find the magic formula to make it look normal. I have two takes, both shot on the RED, that are too dark:

1.)

When auto contrast is applied:

2.)

When auto contrast is applied:

As you can see, it gets too noisy and saturated when auto contrast is applied. It looks similar when I mess with the HSL controls. I want to mimic the colors of this shot (by the GH5):

Note the blue of his shirt-- the RED shots make his shirt look more greenish.

I feel like I've tried everything. Am I missing something? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Color Grading in Avid: too dark
on Jan 29, 2018 at 7:31:33 pm

Please try and do your first light in REDCINE-X.
If you can find a decent LOOK in there then bring that back into Avid.
I find the Color grading tools in Avid kinda of a hit and miss.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 29, 2018 at 7:36:17 pm

Well, first off, Avid's color correction tools are severely outdated, and really not good for much more than subtle tweaks. Anything major and you risk grain and banding. It's not nearly as good as Resolve is. Even Symphony addon isn't all that great anymore. It adds more tools to make it quicker, and a bit better, but still not up to Resolve snuff.

Second, you cannot judge the quality of your color grade in Avid's interface. It's not accurate at all. You need an IO box and broadcast monitor or good HDTV in order to see what it really looks like. Avid's interface is brighter than normal...really only meant to be used to see what you are doing when editing. Computer displays themselves aren't good, and most NLE's like Avid aren't designed to show you an accurate image for grading.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jan 30, 2018 at 7:23:52 am

If you have AMA linked the Red footage then under source settings you can adjust the clip as a pregrade step to get it closer.
You can then grade using the colour corrector. The auto tools are ok for fast approx adjustments but not for the sort of matching you are attempting. Resolve won't do a better job automatically.
So you need to understand the grading tool and process to know what to adjust. Avid graining tool is more than adequate in the right hands.
And yes you need to use an external monitor correctly calibrated or you are effectively grading against inaccuracies in the display.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]