AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Trying to migrate project, can't relink media (total Avid newbie)

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Deltufo
Trying to migrate project, can't relink media (total Avid newbie)
on Jan 20, 2018 at 2:08:50 pm

I'm an editor, but I've never used Avid before. I took over an Avid project from another editor, and I'm trying to migrate it to Premiere.

Unfortunately, all the media is offline. I can open the .avp file, see the media in bins, and see the edits... but everything is offline.

I've tried "Relink Media", and it says "no clips were relinked."

I went to "Get Info" for a clip, and the UNC paths were the same folder structure that the footage is in. I even changed the harddrive name to make it identical. Still, no go.

Any advice? Thanks ahead of time!

ps. I'm using Media Composer 8.9, on a 15-inch 2014 MacBook Pro.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Trying to migrate project, can't relink media (total Avid newbie)
on Jan 20, 2018 at 6:47:43 pm
Last Edited By John Pale on Jan 20, 2018 at 6:49:02 pm

If we are talking about “traditional” Avid Media management see below.....if we are talking about AMA/Linked Media, then the procedure is entirely different....

For Avid to recognize the media you need to set up the folder structure like this...

Your Drive/Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1

You cannot use a different folder structure.

Inside the “1” folder will be the media files and also a media database. If the database file isn’t there, Avid won’t recognize any media. You can force Avid to rebuild if its missing.

Import a graphic or music file. Make sure you select that media drive as the import destination. Once it imports, Avid will create a new database and also notice that there is tons of media in the same folder. You’ll see a “scanning” progress bar come up on screen and the media will come online when it finishes.

If the media does not reconnect, look on the drive and see if Avid has created a brand new separate folder structure for media that includes only the graphic or music file you just imported. If that is the case, move all the other media files into that folder and Avid will scan them.

If the original project used AMA aka Linked Media you need to approach this differently....let us know which.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 21, 2018 at 10:41:35 pm

Does the media in the bins have a little link or chain like icon next to it? This will tell you if the clips are ama linked or not.

If not, then follow John's advice above.

If they were linked, then you simply need to go to create a new bin, create new ama links for the footage, and your original links should come back online.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Phil Vo
on Aug 30, 2018 at 5:33:44 am

Thank you Mr. Glenn!!! Your tip has saved me from a nervous break down.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]