AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Best way to handle ama sd pixel aspect ratio issues

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kell Smith
Best way to handle ama sd pixel aspect ratio issues
on Dec 27, 2017 at 5:48:47 am
Last Edited By Kell Smith on Dec 27, 2017 at 1:58:51 pm

I have a 720p project and am trying to figure out the best way to handle sd AMA'd clips when it comes to aspect ratio.
The clips are weird dimensions - 716x480, 712x478, 710x480, 702x480 and more. I think there are a few 720x480 ones in there somewhere. They have all come in as 'stretched." Most of the listings in the "image aspect ratio" column are 1:32:1 and 1:33:1. Pixel aspect ratios generally are running .889, .909, etc. This isn't Avid weirdness, as far as I am aware this reflects the original files which are mostly Quicktimes - mp4, m4v, etc.
There is also HD material in this project, so the overall project has been sized 1280x720.

When changing the reformat column to pillarbox/letterbox those numbers don't change.

Output will be primarily DVD, and possibly some digital files.

What is the best way to fix these aspect ratios? Some of these are already edited so if possible I would prefer to fix them in the bin and update the sequence rather than adding an effect. thx

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Best way to handle ama sd pixel aspect ratio issues
on Dec 28, 2017 at 8:40:38 am

Frame flex should solve it but you may have to manually adjust them.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Dec 28, 2017 at 2:24:28 pm

I assume you mean in the bin columns, is that correct?

So in the Image Aspect column they are various settings, 4x3, 1.50:1, 1:33:1 etc. When changing those, you should be shooting for as close to 1 in the pixel aspect column as possible?

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
on Dec 28, 2017 at 3:02:35 pm

I thought I knew this but am apparently still unclear.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]