AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Possible project inherited was not properly ingested for online

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tiffany Dixon
Possible project inherited was not properly ingested for online
on Dec 13, 2017 at 1:46:31 am

Hello,

I suspect that I'm sitting on top of a ticking time bomb, not knowing which wire to cut.

Okay so not that bad, but I've recently been hired onto a project as an AE to online the movie for finishing. What I'm finding so far is that I don't see any old AMA bins or projects, projects in different frame rates to ingest footage and ripped media, AND potentially missing digitized DV tape masters.

Starting with the missing AMA master clips - I know that those are crucial to online the sequence. What do I do if the ingest from the very beginning of the project was incorrect? Will I have to re-ingest all of the clips and overcut the sequence (gosh I hope not!)? I'm not sure what to do here.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Possible project inherited was not properly ingested for online
on Dec 13, 2017 at 4:02:17 am

Often just AMA linking to the media into a new bin will allow you to relink your sequence to it (link to selected in open bins).

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 13, 2017 at 1:50:37 pm

How do you plan on finishing? In Media Composer or via AAF to a third party system? For AMA sources, make sure the "Source File" column has the original file name in it, from there you can reconstruct as needed.

Michael

Return to posts index

Tiffany Dixon
on Dec 14, 2017 at 3:59:12 am

My guess is I'll likely have to turnover a sequence transcoded at a higher resolution or an AAF to the colorist (perhaps they're really both the same thing?).

What are the key Metadata Avid needs to relink from offline to online raw media? Isn't it timecode, file pathway, and tape name?

From what I can tell, the movie contains the following media:

1. DSLR footage (likely the majority of the movie and I know they often don't have timecode)
2. Panasonic footage (P2 Media)
3. possibly c100 footage
3. News clips ripped from YouTube (MP4)
4. Pond5 stock footage
5. Graphics
6. Stills (many JPGs as opposed to TIFFs)

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 14, 2017 at 2:29:18 pm

I would start by asking how the footage was transcoded in the first place. (Somebody must know).
If you are missing AMA clips, it is possible there never was AMA clips.
If the media was all made in Resolve, perhaps they can give you the original Resolve project. and you can conform there.

If it was AMA's in Avid, then yes you would have to re-create those ama links. Create a new bin, and link everything you can into that bin. Doesn't really have to be terribly organized at this point, you just want to get the information into the box. From there you can duplicate your sequence, and try to relink a copy of it to raw using one of the methods described in other postings.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Tiffany Dixon
on Dec 15, 2017 at 8:44:35 pm

Thank you, I actually did spend most of yesterday rebuilding the AMAs. I'm going through the sequence piecemeal and relinking that way after initially trying to relink the entire thing (only to find out later that I was still missing raw footage).

A couple things have come up:

1. I noticed that Avid places a Color Adaptor on the AMA clips once they've relinked. I tried removing the adaptors by going back to my AMA master clips, selecting them all, then going to Source Settings and unchecking the color box there. But even after doing that and then refreshing my relinked sequence, they are still there! Not sure if anyone else has run into that problem before.

2. Some of the footage I tried to AMA to produces a "Wrong Format" error on my source monitor. I've tried manually selecting the correct AMA Plugin, however that did not fix the error. Luckily I've got some transcodes that I could AMA link to instead of the raw .MP4 files, but it's leaving me curious.

3. I have a trial version of Avid 8.3.1 and I can't for the life of me find the P2 AMA plugin v4.3 for download online. That said, if I were to upgrade to a trial version of 8.9.1, will that mess up all of the AMA bins I rebuilt (and perhaps present unforeseen issues)? I'm nervous that this newer version won't have the same AMA plugins as my current one (namely the plugin for AVCHD). I'm also nervous that there's no way for me to just temporarily uninstall Avid 8.3.1 while testing the newer version (I'm borrowing this iMac from someone). Halp...?

As I dig deeper new challenges arise, haha! Thank you all for the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]