AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Import QT with captions?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin McQuillan
Import QT with captions?
on Dec 12, 2017 at 8:46:11 pm

Will Avid import and retain captions from a quicktime (prores or otherwise) file with embedded CC?

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Import QT with captions?
on Dec 12, 2017 at 11:10:45 pm

I have not been able to get HD Ancillary CC to come into Avid from QT files but it will show up as a Data Track from OP-1a MXF files.

I usually use MacCaption to extract the CC from QT's and them export an AAF that Avid can import as a CC Data Track.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Dec 13, 2017 at 1:23:05 am

Thanks - Trying to figure out a workflow that does not include the +$1700 for MacCaption/CaptionMaker... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Edit is happening in FCPX with caption file added via Compressor. Compressor will apparently only add captions to either a Quicktime file (prores) or mpeg program stream export, but not to MXF export...

I guess I could add the .scc file onto the data track in Avid... but have heard it can be hit or miss...

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Dec 13, 2017 at 5:43:53 am

As far as I know Compressor does not embed HD Ancillary CC so that will fail QC. Again MacCaption can embed the Ancillary CC in a QT file but as you said itโ€™s costly.

Avid is not a good option with SCC Files as it only embeds the SD portion of the CC into the Ancillary stream. If you need the complete HD CC Ancillary Stream in your export you must use an AAF CC File. It also will not export the CC to a QT file, you have to export an OP-1a or AS-11 File to get proper HD Ancillary CC in your exports.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 14, 2017 at 2:37:06 pm

Bad news...the "cheaper" version of caption maker/mac caption doesn't include aaf output. you would have to buy the next step up...which last time I looked was about 3500 or so. You have to read telestreams matrix's very carefully, for any product you buy from them.

The less expensive version will output a .scc file, and maybe a keyable quicktime movie? The .scc can import into Avid, but will not produce 709 captions, just 608. The aaf method is the best way to go within Avid.

You can take a .scc into premiere and convert it to 709 there, but only for use in that program. Embedding from Premiere into prores with captions will also fail many qc's.

Lots of fun!

I always just ask if they can test an mxf to see if it will work for them. Usually it will...you just have to ask them to try.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Dec 15, 2017 at 4:36:26 pm

I also found this software: MovieCaptioner from http://www.synchrimedia.com.

For the more reasonable $129 will create the .scc and various other caption formats... GUI could use an update and definitely doesn't have anywhere near the bells and whistles as the MacCaption... But looks like it may do what I need it to...

The particular network I need to deliver this project to I believe will accept 608 embedded. Will send them a test and make sure before I pump out the full project..

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Dec 16, 2017 at 6:04:06 pm

I have Movie Captioner as well. The developer is pretty good at updating it. About a year or so ago, I realized his .scc wasn't importing into Avid properly. We spent a weekend going back and forth with some tests, until we discoverd the issue, and he updated the program. It will import to Avid, but again, Avid can only do 608 out from it.

If Avid wants to wow us in their next update, they can always work on better ways to work with captions.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]