AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Show me your BINS

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Santiago
Show me your BINS
on Nov 22, 2017 at 4:13:50 pm

Good morning folks.
Over the years working in all three NLEs I've always wondered how folks are setting their bins in MC.
I am doing my first full feature in Avid MC and wondering how you guys deal with naming and managing your data.
I have the basic "DAY 1" and "DAY 1 AUDIO" bins to separate RED files with the WAV.
But I do that after I have them all in one folder for TC Sync.
I get into the habit of using UNDERSCORE on bins that I need at the top.
My first feature was done in Premiere (finishing not editing) and got used to that flow but I love FCPX Event Browser but have never done a feature in it.
Other questions:
Do you leave sub clips in the same bins as original?
Do you OFFLINE the original data and is it safe to do so?

I am sure I have more questions :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Show me your BINS
on Nov 23, 2017 at 1:38:11 am

My bin structure is thus:

00_CUTS (folder)
CURRENT CUT (bin)
(If I have many acts, say a shared show...or just a long show, then I'll have CURRENT ACT 1, CURRENT ACT 2)
zOLD CUTS (bin)
01_FOOTAGE (folder)
SCENES (bin - if scripted)
INTERVIEWS (bin - if doc)
B-ROLL (bin - footage shot by us)
ARCHIVAL (bin - stock footage)
FOOTAGE BY DATE (FOLDER - transcoded footage by day shot, and camera card)
GROUPS BY DATE (folder...footage grouped and sync'd)
02_STILLS (folder...containing bins by stock footage vendor, and ones for our stills, etc)
03_AUDIO (folder)
SFX (multiple bins - separated by type, ALL SFX, Transitions, HITS, STINGS...etc)
MUSIC (multiple bins by music genre, company we license from, etc)
TEMP VO (bin)
MASTER VO (bin)
FINAL MIX STEMS (bin)
04_GFX (folder)
ORIG GFX_TEMPS(bin - graphics made internally, temps, low res proxies)
ORIG GFX_MASTERS (bin - finals)
STOCK GFX (bin - graphics downloaded from stock vendors)
05_MASTER AMA BINS (folder containing individual bins of card offloads...original AMA linked media)

With many other options depending on the proejct, but this is a basic layout.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 23, 2017 at 5:29:45 am

Great stuff Shane!

Some of yours I would be at after I get deeper into a project.
I really wished there was an option for a multiple Bins in Avid.
Or is there?

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Nov 23, 2017 at 7:15:02 am

You can have as many bins as you like, in as many folders as you like, and open as many as your memory/screen will allow.

You can organise bin arrangement and save as ‘bin layout’ - not transferable between projects though.

Select multiple bins, right click & ‘open selected bins in one window’ to get tabbed selection of bins. This is where you will appreciate brevity in your bin naming
Eg
0 FIN
1 WRK
2 IN
3 GFX
4 MX
5 SFX
9 OLD

etc...

I mostly work in short form turnaround though, done in a day, longer form / shared projects you can’t get away with the same brevity - prefer to get into a checkerboard arrangement of bins (saved as layouts) in that case

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 23, 2017 at 8:36:05 am

[Eric Santiago] "I really wished there was an option for a multiple Bins in Avid."

What do you mean? You can have many bins open at once. You can even have one window with multiple bin TABS...I do this a lot, it's called TABBED BINS...replaced what was called the SUPERBIN. I might have to get you a screen shot

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 23, 2017 at 4:04:12 pm

As an aside...

Seems like every editor...no matter what NLE...has to do little tricks with numbers or odd characters to get the folders and bins to sort in the order they want them. Would seem by now we be able to do that without such nonsense. For instance, in Premiere, you can drag individual workspace names so they appear in a certain order in the interface....why not extend that to bins and folders in the project pane?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 23, 2017 at 11:31:38 pm

[Shane Ross] "..replaced what was called the SUPERBIN"

Oh I remember that back in the Meridien days ☺

I think I got impatient and never bothered to find the tabs part.

I will give that a look asap.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 26, 2017 at 6:29:19 pm

As with most, I have audio folders and bins, which might have music, sfx, voiceover, mixes and fx folders and bins, which might have shots to pull, motion fx, vfx returns. It all depends on the complexity of the project.

I keep everything organized, much in the structure that the workflow went through to complete the tasks.
This helps especially if an assistant does some of the work, and I have to go back through to see where an issue might have occurred. As a small shop, If I use assistants, its usually for the start of the project to help get things rolling, and then I'm on my own after that.

I would typically have a folder called 'camera raw' with bins for each day and a/b camera organized.

If transcoded, then I would have the transcodes in their own folder/bin structure.

Then the clips get the audio sync treatment, which creates a new set of clips.

I usually keep the grouped clips with sync audio in their own bin, just so they are there if I ever need to go back.
I then duplicate those clips and organize them into my "scenes to edit" bins.

Yes, its a lot of folders and bins, which may never be opened again, but they are there if needed.

For features and shorts, I have a folder called "scenes to edit" and a folder called "edited scenes"
In those folders are individual bins for each scene number, or depending on the structure of the show a bin might cover several scenes.

In Scenes to edit, I leave it in film strip mode, with the shots laid out in a grid. top to bottom are the shot numbers,
(sc1, Sc 1A, Sc 1B etc) left to right are the takes, so each clip has been renamed to Sc1 Tk1, SC1 Tk2 etc. I usually make sure the thumbnail is an accurate representation of the shot itself, rather than just the first frame, which may be a slate, or a boom operator standing by.

As a scene is cut it is placed in the cooresponding "edited scenes" bin, and then later used as a source for the assembly process. The assembled edits are ofcourse placed in their own bin.

As a guy who also does colour work on projects done by other editors, I really appreciate getting a project from someone with a high level of organization. Just makes it so much easier to figure out where stuff came from if something goes off the rails. I have had to call up editors and ask which version was the final version because the naming was all over the place, and there were layers upon layers of video that were covering other shots, and I wasn't sure if this was the locked sequence or not. (clean it up if you are sending out of house at some point). Don't make me relink to 5 layers of video if only 1 is needed in the final version.

It also helps me if I have to come back to something months later. I'm not looking at the project saying "what the hell was I doing here?"

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]