AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Media Drive on MacBook Pro for Avid Media Composer trial

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jennifer Essex-Chew
Media Drive on MacBook Pro for Avid Media Composer trial
on Sep 15, 2017 at 11:27:42 am

Good Morning!
I am new to apple laptops - never installed MC on one before. Where is the media drive located? I tried attaching a lacie hard drive to store the Lynda.com exercise & media files and then MC won't load - invalid file name. I moved the exercise & media files onto the hard drive under "Movies" however it still will not recognize the files. I tried to relink - however MC says it can't because there is no media drive. When I had no media loaded - before the Lynda files, I had a message that "No media can be written to any mounted drives. Please check write permissions. " Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Media Drive on MacBook Pro for Avid Media Composer trial
on Sep 15, 2017 at 3:46:16 pm

The "media drive" is simply the drive where you store the media. So it would be that Lacie drive.

[Jennifer Essex-Chew] "I moved the exercise & media files onto the hard drive under "Movies" however it still will not recognize the files."

Now, Avid is VERY VERY SPECIFIC about where the Avid media needs to go, and what format it needs to be. When you have transcoded Avid media, it goes into a folder on the root level of the drive...the "Avid MediaFiles" folder. And then in that, there is an "MXF" folder. And then in there, folders with numbers, "1," "2," and so on. If the media is not in that EXACT file path, Avid won't see it.

So...is the media that Lynda provided specifically Avid media? Meaning transcoded MXF files? Or are they Quicktime files or other that one needs to LINK to, and then transcode? If the former, then look at the file path to make sure it's exactly as I laid out. If the latter, then you need to first LINK to that media inside Avid and then transcode.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jennifer Essex-Chew
on Sep 15, 2017 at 9:09:06 pm

Thank you for your response.
The offline media is part of an exercise file from Lynda.com. They are MXF files from a zipped AvidMedia File folder downloaded from Lynda.com. Should I have a thumbnail with the MXF? are they like Quicktimes? Other AMA media included in the exercise file have thumbnails & I can see what the media looks like. Wondering about this media & what I should be able to view outside of AVID as a first step - can't import media if there isn't any!!
I have been working in Premiere for the past three years & rusty with AVID!! Looking inside the exercise project loaded into MC - in bin view I can see the offline assets are supposed to be on the "Media Drive" - and I know I don't have a "Media Drive". I tried to open the MXF files to see where my MacBook Pro thinks they are - however AVID can't open them & I can't seem to open the MXF files any other way. I tried attaching a laCie rugged to use as a media drive - but then AVID wouldn't load - Invalid file name & then crash.
So, current questions:
1.) how do MXF files behave? are they like qt's that can be played anywhere or can they only be opened inside of AVID?
2.) if MXF files can only be opened inside AVID - how to I tell AVID where these files are?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Jennifer Essex-Chew
on Sep 15, 2017 at 10:10:30 pm

Hi - more to add.
I have been experimenting & even without the Lynda.com stuff - I get this message when I want to import footage:
"There are not media drives available. You will only be able to import shot logs."

This is also a message I get at start-up:
"No media can be written to any mounted drive. Please check write permissions."

I do not have this issue in MC7 on my Mac Pro museum piece from 2007!!!

Return to posts index

Jennifer Essex-Chew
on Sep 15, 2017 at 10:30:40 pm

SOLVED!!!!!! It was a read/write permission on the Macintosh HD - set to read only!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]