AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Using Avid but panning photos in After Effects

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Hill
Using Avid but panning photos in After Effects
on Aug 29, 2017 at 8:56:23 pm

I use Avid and like to use After Effects to pan my photos (I refuse to even look at Avid's pan tool anymore), and I know how to get into After Effects by AAF and use After Effects to pan my photos. But it seems very cumbersome to roundtrip every time you need to adjust a pan. And you would have to keep lots of folders with lots of different versions of the panned photo.
So my question is there any easier way? Premier Pro seems a lot easier than doing a roundtrip from Avid.
How do most editors deal with photos in documentaries? I've used the Boris Pan tool but it seemed clunky.
Thanks,
John

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Using Avid but panning photos in After Effects
on Aug 29, 2017 at 9:49:53 pm

Moving Picture. Avid Pan & Zoom. But mainly Moving Picture.

As for Premiere Pro, you don't need to round trip anything. Just do the move in Premiere. Ease in and Out are there.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Per Scaffidi
Re: Using Avid but panning photos in After Effects
on Sep 21, 2017 at 10:19:37 pm

Avid Pan & Zoom has been broken for at least 2 years. You'll get a "boomerang" type move, no matter what settings you try. It's a known bug and 2 years ago I was told they were working on it. Earlier in the year, I called for an update and customer support said they were working on replacing pan & zoom with something else completely.

I was looking into Stage Tools Moving Picture but didn't want to pony up the $250. But at this point it would be well worth it.

The quick and dirty workaround is set your project for 4K, import your stills (or reimport), and go back to HD. When you place a still on the timeline, you'll see the frameflex effect. This at least allows you to pan & zoom, but it won't ease in and out. Not much good when you're working on a documentary composed entirely of stills.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]