AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Display Event Numbers using Subcap effect for VFX prep?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Delgaty
Display Event Numbers using Subcap effect for VFX prep?
on Aug 4, 2017 at 11:52:36 pm

I'm tasked with prepping sequences for VFX. They've asked that each shot requiring VFX work be numbered sequentially. We did this originally by creating 130 titles with Shot 001-Shot 130 and manually laying them over each shot.

Because I'm lazy, my plan is to pull all shots that require VFX to their own track, and generate an EDL out of the events on that track. From there, I'd like to use the Subcap effect to read the EDL and display the event numbers on screen. I only think this might be possible because I read online someone doing something similar. (https://www.evanschiff.com/bd/articles/tag/subcap)

I don't think it will do exactly as I need.

Has anyone tried anything like this?

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Display Event Numbers using Subcap effect for VFX prep?
on Aug 5, 2017 at 9:17:33 am

Hi Ty,
So, what's the problem?
The work is done and is available for free. (I did not test it, as I'm not behind an Avid now, but I trust it will work.)

It's not lazy, it's smart as it is faster at doing dumb jobs.
I would think the question was to name the clips sequentially, but if it's a burn-in they want, this will work.

Now, you can do something yourself with any decent spreadsheet or text editor.

And yes, I've done tons of stuff like this myself. So many, that I made a business out of it.
(So you can hire me to do something custom for you, won't break the bank as it's just an hour work.)

But then, it can be made even smarter. You still have to export all the clips, meaning a lot of subclip making.
(That can be done with a series of automated fireing keystrokes in a macro, but I could automate that as well.)
Or is a mixdown of the entire show good enough for rock 'n roll?

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Ty Delgaty
on Aug 5, 2017 at 5:48:34 pm

Hey Bouke,

That's very cool to hear from the man himself! I did appreciate your tool, but I admit, I didn't really understand what it was meant to do exactly, but what I took from it, is that what I was attempting to do was possible.

The problem is that I don't understand what your tool is doing to the EDL. How would it be possible for Subcap to read the first entry of each line on the EDL?

The VFX house is getting a AAF, so I don't need to subsequence/subclip anything out.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Aug 5, 2017 at 6:39:00 pm

Dude,
I am NOT the man who made the online tool you mentioned!

I can however make anything possible...

Please read again!

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Aug 8, 2017 at 6:04:10 pm

Evan's tool takes the comment from your locators and makes subcaps out of them. If you create markers with the VFX ID in them and export an EDL with locators checked, you should get what you need. I believe it takes File32 EDLs.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]