AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

C300 AMA Linking: Non Conformed Clips

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carson Garriott
C300 AMA Linking: Non Conformed Clips
on Aug 4, 2017 at 10:10:40 pm

I'm currently trying to AMA link footage shot on a Canon C300 (Mark I) and am having trouble with Avid converting the clips into several 5 minute clips. I know that the C300 shoots in 2.04 GB files and that maintaining the file pathway is extremely important for Avid to properly connect to the footage. When selecting the footage that I want to link, I have been choosing the root folder. For example, if the footage was on a card named CR_A_001, I am choosing the root folder when selecting what to import from Avid and I am not choosing the CONTENTS folder or the individual clips. (The pathway CR_A_001>CONTENTS>CLIPS001>CC000X is in tact)

I have the updated Canon plugin and the Canon XF utility, and can't figure out why I'm getting the five minute clips instead of the conformed clips.

Specs: OS X 10.11.5, 4GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, Avid Media Composer 8.5.3
Plug Ins:
MVP_MSP_CanonRaw CANON INC. 1.1
MVP_MSP_CanonXF CANON INC. 3.2

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: C300 AMA Linking: Non Conformed Clips
on Aug 5, 2017 at 3:53:28 am
Last Edited By Brent Marginet on Aug 5, 2017 at 3:55:57 am

You need to have Canon XF Utility combine the spanned clips because Avid does not recognize them as being spanned.
If I remember correctly XF Utility is the only App that recognizes the Spanned clips properly.
It's been quite awhile since I've last used it but the older version I used at the time had two quirks that you need to look out for.

First since they are likely not on the cards anymore so you may have to access the folder with the media sort if indirectly if that makes any sense. Second the nice Backup button in the top left corner used to combine all of the clips on a card into one clip even it they weren't spanned and the original TC was lost and became irrelevant. You will notice that the clips will be labeled something like AA005301, AA005302, AA005303 etc. depending on how many times the camera split a clip. Once XF Utility has combined all the spanned clips it will truncate the last two digits of the the filename and you will end up with a file named AA0053 as an example.

As I say it's quite awhile since I've used it and I don't currently have access to any C300 media to test the new version of XF Utility for you. I remember that there were about four different ways to get the media off the cards but only one pulled the media off properly wether spanned or not and retained the proper original TC.

Here's a link that may help.

https://www.abelcine.com/articles/blog-and-knowledge/tutorials-and-guides/h...

Hope this helps.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: C300 AMA Linking: Non Conformed Clips
on Aug 5, 2017 at 4:05:45 am

Actually I think the Backup Button just backed up the card to a hard drive in exactly the same structure as the CF Card had.

There's one of the other options that will do what you want but there was definitely one that combined the card into one giant clip which is totally useless. You will find one of the four options if there are still four in the latest version that will do what you need.

Unfortunately you will now have twice as much HD Space used but as I said I think XF Utility is the only App that recognizes the spanned clips properly.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]