AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Replacing files in the Avid MediaFiles folder

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Cannan
Replacing files in the Avid MediaFiles folder
on Jul 28, 2017 at 6:51:46 pm
Last Edited By Travis Cannan on Jul 28, 2017 at 8:23:18 pm

So I'm currently re transcoding a days worth of footage (in Resolve) that I have already logged and sorted. Unfortunately i didn't realize until I had done a fair bit off work that the audio tracks got mixed down into a single track. My question is if I attempt to simply replace the old MXF files in the MediaFiles Folder will it be as simple as using the relink function when I open up MC? Clip names, Timecode, and Tape will all be identical. Maybe I won't even need to relink? Only difference will the be the number of audio tracks. Also would my group clips also re link? If relevant my process for ingested clips is to drag my database file into a master bin and then duplicate the files and sort them into Day bins. Then in the Day bins I do all my labeling and grouping and then option drag all the clips into their respective scene bins. Anyone have any insight into this? If my plan doesn't work does anyone have an alternative that wouldn't involve simply re doing all of my labeling? I'm using 8.4

Thanks!

Edit:

Tried a quick test and am not having any luck. I tried replacing a clip that had the proper audio into my MXF folder. I opened Avid and found the clip I had replaced. It was offline. Tried Relinking but it says it can not find a match. I tried trashing and re dragging in a new database file but that just brings in the replaced clip as a new clip while leaving the original master file offline.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Replacing files in the Avid MediaFiles folder
on Jul 28, 2017 at 11:42:42 pm

It can't relink because they are not the same clips and will not have the same Metadata because the track count is different.

If you Transcoded to Avid OP-Atom MXF and there is one track of audio then you will have two files per clip. One that's the Video and one that's the Audio but if there were originally 8 then there will be 9 MXF Files.

No NLE will relink to Media with a different track count properly or at all.

Bringing in a new database file will bring in new clips because again it's not the same as the previous clip.
Avid is looking for the same Metadata in the Master Clip and will not relink unless it is identical.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Travis Cannan
on Jul 29, 2017 at 12:40:00 am

Thanks for the response Brent. If that is the case then I suppose I will start Re logging. I will say that I'm a little surprised to hear that. Given that there is SO much metadata that is identical I would think that there would be a way to do this. Would Matching Reel names and timecode not be sufficient enough to get everything to match up? I obviously wouldn't expect any edits to the audio tracks to translate over but given these are just bins of clips I would have thought Avid would have a solution to this. I understand the metadata is not identical but it seems to me that if you could tell avid that these new clips equal the old clips then the program could look and see that all of the names line up and even the timecode information used to group different clips together also matches up. In resolve there is a feature to "force conform" to whatever clip you tell it to. I suppose I was thinking Avid would have something similar. I am admittedly, far from an expert on avid so I'm sure there are variables I'm not taking into account. It just seems like a program as robust as Avid would be able to do something like this. Hopefully I'm not coming across as ungrateful for the advice! Just always trying to understand this program better : )

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 29, 2017 at 6:49:27 am

I tested out an old method that may work for you, though it may be to late if you've already started re-logging the new footage. Hopefully you kept the old Bins with the old Master Clips in them and then you can give this a try. You may also be able to pull the old bins from Avids Attic if you did toss all of the original Master Clips.

Note: Some of the Menu Items will not be in the same place in 8.4.5 as they are in 8.8.5 which is what I'm using.

1- Select all of the clips that you want to relink.
2- Right Click, go to Modify and then Click on Unlink Media...
3- Select all the clips unless there are differing numbers of audio tracks on the new clips.
You must select clips that will have the same number of Audio Tracks for this to work.
4- Right Click, go to Modify and click on Modify Clip...
5- A Dialogue box will pop up and select Set Tracks.
6- Add Check Marks that correspond to the number of Audio Tracks that the new clips will have and click OK.
7- Right Click on these same clips again and select Relink...
8- In the Relink Dialogue Box uncheck Relink only to media from the current project and click OK.

This may now relink to the new clips with the extra Audio Tracks if all goes well.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
on Jul 29, 2017 at 9:32:50 am

Are you sure it's 'mixed down' and not just a 'stereo' clip in the timeline?

Resolve defaults to making timeline tracks stereo but renders the audio as op-atom seperate audio files for each source track.

So you may be able to just modify the source clips or right click on a timeline and 'split to mono' on your current files

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Aug 6, 2017 at 4:03:16 pm

If you haven't already, you might want to try Unlinking then Relinking.

Return to posts index

Jimmy See
on Aug 8, 2017 at 3:26:49 am

Hey Travis

I found your predicament interesting because it does sound like it ought to be something you can fix and it's frustrating that such a little thing is standing in the way.

I've found a solution for you, but if Brent's method works, I'd advise using his instead, because his will work with existing edits and mine will not.

However, if you don't have any luck with Brent's method, I have tested this and it worked. Since you've already had to create entirely new media, and what you're afraid of losing is in fact your logging work, not necessarily instances of the clips or their use in timelines, then really relinking isn't actually necessary and Avid finds it problematic anyway since as far as it's concerned the difference in number of tracks means that there is no relationship between your original transcodes and the new ones and you're asking it to relink one piece of media to something totally unrelated. What you actually want to preserve is your metadata, not the relationship between clips in bins and locations on disk.

You can do this using ALE files which are just text based versions of the metadata in a given bin.

• 1. Make a new bin, and populate with your newly created MXF media that has all the tracks. During this process you should put only the same clips in each new bin as were in your old bins, so if you had a bin originally that contained clips 1 to 8, the new bin should also contain only clips 1 to 8 (but of course with the NEW versions of those clips not the old),
  • 2. Save the bin layout of your old bins and choose it as the layout for each new bin as well.
  • 3. Right-click inside one of your old bins and choose 'export bin' an export window will open up with Avid Log Exchange as the default option. Choose a location and save.
  • 4. Having now made an ALE version of your old bin on disk, you want the metadata from that bin to attach itself to master clips in the corresponding new bin, specifically, we only want the media that you entered manually attached to those clips and don't want anything else that might be there by default ruined (especially track data). So first, select all the clips in the bin and then right-click on one them.
  • 5. Select input > import media.
  • 6. Click 'options', in the 'shot log' tab of the import settings window select 'Merge events with known master clips' from the 'Events' list. Click OK.
  • 6. Choose the correct .ALE file that you previously saved on disk, and then click 'open'
  • 7. The columns in your bin will populate with the metadata you previously entered.

I tested this with your exact scenario using resolve for transcoding and two sets of separate transcodes from the same source media one with and one without mixing down audio tracks. It works flawlessly.

The biggest drawback with this that anything you've done with the clips other than logging is still lost because the new media is considered just that, new media. But if you've only done logging then you should be home free.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]