AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Avid First Problems

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Witt
Avid First Problems
on Jul 23, 2017 at 11:24:48 pm

My apology this is for Avid First and not Media Composer. I've had problems galore and one is even being able to register an Avid Forum account though I have a Master Account with them when I acquired Avid First.

I'd like to start off by saying I'm only dealing with SD 525/29.97 footage (it is a lot of old archived footage). I've run this footage without issue on as little as MC 2.7 running a Pentium D 850 CPU and 2 GB of RAM. So, I doubt I'm taxing my system. That said the Avid First minimums only state 6 GB RAM (I'm running 8 GB). They make no statement to the CPU (Core2Duo, 3Mhz) nor the GPU (Quadro 3700) running on a Dell 960. I'm running Windows 10, 64 bit and it was a clean, fresh, updated, install prior to the addition of Avid First (and only Avid First, I run all my editors as a single purpose computer). THe Quardo drivers are up to date. Yes, I know the system is older but so is the minimal demand of the SD footage.

When I initially launched Avid first I got (two) I-Lok notices when the Audio Effects were loading. At the second notice I was prompted that I could proceed but with limited (no audio effects) capabilities. I also got a Quicktime notice and installed QT 7.79 (1680.95.84).

Anyway, less the ability to use the Avid Audio Effects everything worked fine. But being the type to want things right I investigated the matter and found information to updated the I-Lok. This no longer caused the two I-Lok prompts and Avid First now loaded without issue.

HOWEVER..., the audio now periodically stutters (repeat, repeat, repeat), the window (didn't matter source or record - from the timeline) would freeze as well as the VU meters. Sometimes I could play a 30 second clip 4-5 times without issue and then on the next attempt the problem popped up. The audio repeating would go on for about 5 seconds and then suddenly the playback would resume for a duration and then repeat itself.

The fact the footage played perfectly when the Audio Effects didn't load initially indicates it can be done. I've tried all the usuals (no Caps lock, nothing showing in the timeline audio) and tried to disable just about any and everything that could be using a resource to no avail. I've disconnected from the internet. But nothing changes this random, spratic but disabling problem.

Any suggestions (remember it is ONLY SD footage that does play correctly when the Audio Effects don't load) as to where to look.

And..., anyone have an idea as to why I can't create and Avid Forum account? I have the Master Account, go through all the forum account prompts (including scrolling the "terms of service" just in case it wants to know I've been there). But every time I submit I get an error prompt back. I've tried on three different computers, one being Linux.

Thank you for your time.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Avid First Problems
on Jul 24, 2017 at 12:43:21 am

Avid has this weird thing about linking your master account to there Forums and Download Centre. Have you done that, if not you won't be able to post anything.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Tom Witt
on Jul 24, 2017 at 4:30:51 pm

Thank you for your reply. Yes, what you describe is exactly what I am trying to do. I log into my Avid Master account. I select to link the account to a Forum account (that I have not yet created). I then attempt to create the forum account. I enter a user name, my email address and a password to create a Forum account. When I click "Submit" it returns with a unstated error. I've tried different passwords (including my Master password), different user names etc. to no avail.

I've also tried to create a Forum account without logging in to my Master account therefore trying to avoid initially linking a (Forum) account that is not yet created. But it routes me to log into the Master account log in first and thus can't be avoided.

Regarding the function issues with Avid First:

It seems my only hope is that a major Windows update will render my I-Lok (for the Audio Effects) outdated. Then when I launch Avid First it won't load the Audio Effects and the rest will function properly as it did before (less Audio Effects).

It seems an odd way of dealing with the problem but one that has proven to work. Now I just need to wait ... .

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 24, 2017 at 9:38:18 pm

I'm not sure where it is on a PC but on a Mac you can move the Plugins from a "Plug-Ins" Folder to a "Plug-Ins (Unused)" Folder in Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio. I have found that there are a couple of Plugins that seem to cause even MC 8.8.5 to crash or have issues.

I've moved so many to the Unused Folder I just can't remember which two were the culprits.
Just try moving them in blocks of 5 or 10 at a time until you narrow down which ones may be causing you grief.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.

Return to posts index

Tom Witt
on Jul 25, 2017 at 1:08:39 am

OK, I found the equivalent folder in Windows 10. I left the plugins folder but removed all the plugins by cutting and pasting to a folder titled "Unused." I was denied the doing of that and then moved the "Unused" folder to another drive.

IMMEDIATELY after I closed the window after the plugins transferred the Application Manager in the tray disappeared. And attempts to launch it from the main menu failed. I restarted the computer and launched the Application Manager and it ran endlessly "Initializing." I restarted again and got a prompt they the firewall was now blocking the Avid Help. I allowed that and the application manager loaded and show my perpetual licence that is part of Avid First.

However, when I attempted to Launch Avid First it went looking for the install medium (DVD) as it was attempting to re-install Avid First. Apparently they have it set so you can't alter ANYTHING or the program won't run. Probably as a means of preventing adding in the missing elements and making Avid First a full blown MC.

Thank you for your time but frankly I'm "Done." A product that runs right when it doesn't load properly (lack of initializing Audio Effect) yet has issues when it eventually loads properly (stutter audio, locking screen) is just not worth the frustration. I have MC 2.7 running on an old XP computer and for my SD footage it will suffice. Free isn't free when you spend 20+ hours trying to make it work and it doesn't.

Return to posts index

Tom Witt
on Jul 25, 2017 at 1:12:34 am

OK, I found the equivalent folder in Windows 10. I left the plugins folder but removed all the plugins by cutting and pasting to a folder titled "Unused" in the same folder. I was denied the doing of that and then moved the "Unused" folder to another drive.

IMMEDIATELY after I closed the window after the plugins transferred the Application Manager in the tray disappeared. And attempts to launch it from the main menu failed. I restarted the computer and launched the Application Manager and it ran endlessly "Initializing." I restarted again and got a prompt that the firewall was now blocking the Avid Help. I allowed that and the application manager loaded and showed my perpetual licence that is part of Avid First.

However, when I attempted to Launch Avid First it went looking for the install medium (DVD) as it was attempting to re-install Avid First. Apparently they have it set so you can't alter ANYTHING or the program won't run. Probably as a means of preventing adding in the missing elements and making Avid First a full blown MC.

Thank you for your time but frankly I'm "Done." A product that runs right when it doesn't load properly (lack of initializing Audio Effect) yet has issues when it eventually loads properly (stutter audio, locking screen) is just not worth the frustration. I have MC 2.7 running on an old XP computer and for my SD footage it will suffice. Free isn't free when you spend 20+ hours trying to make it work - and it doesn't.

Return to posts index

Tom Witt
on Jul 27, 2017 at 10:57:43 pm

OK, well I hate to quit at problems so a few days later and I'm back at it. First I went from a Windows 10 to a Windows 7 install. Knowing that Avid is very driver particular I looked at what drivers a high end GTX (like the 1080) card used and noticed that they were not comparable with the older Quadro card I installed (3700).

I looked in the GTX 1080 "supported " tab on the Nvidia site and found that I had one card that ran the same driver set. A (very, VERY) lowly GT 520. I was concern as to what driver to select and eventually decided on the driver that was released on the same day Avid First was released to the public (6-29-2017).

I again got the I-lok/Audio Effects not loading (but was allowed to proceed) and a Quicktime prompt. The first edit went well but opening the second clip caused a crash.

I went back and loaded Quicktime 7.7.9 and restarted. The I-lok prompts went away on the launch, the Audio Effects loaded and I got ten edits in without issues! I decided to end it there for today on a high note.

So, as far as I have deduced if you don't have Quicktime 7.7.9 installed you will get the I-lok/no Audio Effect notices. Thus make sure you do that. The second thing is the video drivers are VERY IMPORTANT. Make sure your card supports the drivers that are related to the Avid. The GT 520 card I got to work is a whole lot less of a card than the older Quadro card I previously had installed. Yet it was the difference maker ("Go Figure"). Now rendering and effects with the GT 520 card are a whole different story. I don't expect much. I'll have my eyes out for something better.

Anyway, if your a "bottom feeder" old man like me, or some young kid with limited cash hopefully this will inspire you to persevere. I paid $40 for the Dell 960 with Windows 7, $25 for the 8 GB of RAM and all of $3 for the GT 520 card and I'm editing with Avid!

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Aug 1, 2017 at 4:21:58 am

So I gave Avid First a test run on my MacBook Pro and I have to say it's complete garbage.

It exports to Vimeo, YouTube and either an H.264 or a DNxHD file.
The DNxHD file is useless because it changes the Audio Sample Rate to 44.1khz and the H.264 went through four passes before completing. I was exporting a 90 Minute Video and it took almost 5 hours to export the H.264.

All I can say is, CRAP, CRAP, CRAP, PIECE OF CRAP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]