AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Avid Export - Loss of Quality

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Berg
Avid Export - Loss of Quality
on Jul 18, 2017 at 7:30:48 pm

So, I've been running into this issue with my project. After cutting everything together and doing a color pass on it (inside AVID using Symphony), I went to export. When it finished I noticed that some of my shots had a lot more noise than how they look on my broadcast monitor. I've tried a few different export settings but it wouldn't do the trick. I ultimately deleted the color effect I had on there, reapplied it, rendered it, then exported. Sure enough, image looked great!

So, I found a solution to this but I can't find what caused the problem? I would like to avoid this issue in the future. I've listed some specs below. Let me know if you need more from me.

Camera Settings:
Arri Amira 2k 120fps

Sequence Settings:
Sequence - 2048 x 1152 23.976fps YCbCR 709 (using Avid Media Composer 8.7.2 on Mac)

Export Settings:
Quicktime Movie
2048 x 1152
Color - Keep as Legal Range
Apple ProRes 4444

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Avid Export - Loss of Quality
on Jul 18, 2017 at 10:08:17 pm

What are you looking at when you export? Looking at this in QUicktime? VLC player? Something else? QT is far from accurate..

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joseph Berg
on Jul 19, 2017 at 6:49:25 pm

Hmm...Interesting. I mainly use Quicktime. I just viewed these files in VLC and same thing happened.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 19, 2017 at 6:12:28 pm

Have you AMA Linked your clip and viewed it on your Broadcast Monitor, does this noise still show up when you do this.

If so have you tried doing a Video Mixdown of your Timeline.
Then Duplicate your sequence, drop the Video Mixdown into the new sequence and do the export from that one.

Hope this helps.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 20, 2017 at 12:17:34 am

What you see on your computer display will never look like what you have on your broadcast monitor. Players play different, is your display color balanced...stuff like that. So yes, bringing in the export via AMA link and checking in on the Broadcast monitor and comparing to your timeline will be the only real way to compare.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Martin Fox
on Jul 22, 2017 at 12:51:28 pm

I thought the 4444 prorez encoder expected full range, not legal?

Return to posts index

Martin Fox
on Jul 23, 2017 at 12:43:10 am

I'm less sure of my last post now, but it did get me thinking ; because you are now looking at legal video levels on a full range computer screen, all your black levels have been lifted.
So you might be seeing more noise.
Try Ama linking to the file as Shane suggests, and viewing it at the proper black level.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]