Relinking subclips to new master file

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mary Kerr
Relinking subclips to new master file
on Jul 18, 2017 at 4:12:32 am

Hi,

Humble newbie here…

I am working as an AE for a mostly archival-footage documentary.
I imported a 90-minute .mov file, and made 20-30 subclips, but turns out the original file was slightly corrupt.

They sent us a new, higher-res .mp4 file, but with a new name.
Everything is the same (running time, timecode, etc.), except for these differences:

NAME (for example): "123.mov" (old) / "456.mp4" (new)
FORMAT: 30i NTSC (old) / 1080p/23.98 (new)
CODEC: Unsupported i(PAL) (old) / H.264 (new)
IMAGE SIZE: 480x272 (old) / 1920x1080 (new)
V. RESOLUTION: DNxHD 80 (old) / DNxHD 36 (new) (I’m bringing it in at a lower resolution)

Is there any way I can simply change the name of the new file to the old name, and then link/import/transcode it and it will work with my subclips (after I relink)?! If so, would I have to change the “.mp4” to “mov” as well?!

(FWIW, at one point, they reuploaded the old file for us, and I downloaded and brought it back into Avid, transcoding it as DNx36, and it seemed to work/relinking to all the subclips – but was still crappy quality…. I’ve tried with this new file, having changed the name to the original – and am having trouble).

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Relinking subclips to new master file
on Jul 18, 2017 at 5:50:11 am

There not the same frame rate, frame size or even codec so a relink/import/transcode will pretty much be useless.

[Mary Kerr] "Everything is the same (running time, timecode, etc.), except for these differences:

NAME (for example): "123.mov" (old) / "456.mp4" (new)
FORMAT: 30i NTSC (old) / 1080p/23.98 (new)
CODEC: Unsupported i(PAL) (old) / H.264 (new)
IMAGE SIZE: 480x272 (old) / 1920x1080 (new)
V. RESOLUTION: DNxHD 80 (old) / DNxHD 36 (new) (I’m bringing it in at a lower resolution)"

How would the sub clips link back to a completely different T/C rate.
There will be references to T/C Frames in the Sub Clips that don't even exist in the new Video file.
30i counts from frame 0 to 29 and 23.976p counts frame 0 to 23 so the timecode cannot possibly be the same.

I would say that unless someone else has some crazy work around that it would be time to start from scratch.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jul 18, 2017 at 2:12:24 pm

Your running time shouldn't be the same, as was pointed out , because of the different frame rates.

You can try taking the the mp4 into a 59.94 project, and output it, as a quicktime, with the proper name, thus converting the frame rate to match your original. From that new submaster, you might be able to relink.

If you are trying to recreate 20 - 30 clips, it might be easier to call up the clips and just recreate them.

Automation is wonderful when it works, but if it takes 12 hours to figure out how to automate a 2 hour task....then maybe its easier to just do the 2 hour task over again.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Mary Kerr
on Jul 19, 2017 at 5:22:11 am

Hi Brent and Glenn,

Thanks for the advice!
I have just started to redo the subclips, which actually isn't so bad - I've just created a sequence with the new footage and the old subclips. It will take much less time than what I've already put into this conundrum, but a valuable learning experience nonetheless.

Thanks!
Mary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]