AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Multi frame size and frame rates project workflow.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosario Venegas
Multi frame size and frame rates project workflow.
on Jul 4, 2017 at 9:06:45 pm

Hi!

I've not edited for almost 4 years now, so bear with me <3

I’m working (or about to) on Avid 8.3.1, with 3 different footages.

Codec is always H.264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10). But then:

1 MPEG-2 files / 1920X1080 / 29.970030i UFF

A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52) / Stereo / 48000 Hz / Bitrate 256 kb/s

2 QuickTime files / 1280X800 / 59.912976 progressive

MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a) / Stereo / 44100 Hz

3 MPEG-4 files / 1920X1080 / 50 progressive

PCM S16 BE (twos) / Stereo / 48000 Hz / Bits per sample: 16

I would first of all like to confirm I should AMA-link and then transcode (as opposed to importing). I’m assuming this is the way to go, since I’m working with camera footage and lengthy QT files (screen recordings), no graphics with alphas.

I’m also wondering if I should create 3 separate projects that match the frame rate of the video files, AMA-Link, transcode them and then copy the Bins containing the AMA-Links and transcoded files into a main project. Or should I AMA-Link and then transcode in one same project from scratch? An HD 1080p/29.97 one?

Now… which target video resolution do you recommend? What about audio format, sample rate and bit depth?

How do you recommend that I deal with the mixture of interlaced and progressive?

This is a short film which I intend to enter into film festivals an eventually make available online.

Thanks in advance!

Rosario

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Multi frame size and frame rates project workflow.
on Jul 5, 2017 at 12:32:48 am

How do you plan on finishing? From the camera originals or transcode to the highest quality DNx and use that as final video quality?

Michael

Return to posts index

Rosario Venegas
on Jul 5, 2017 at 11:12:37 am

Hi Michael!

I'm editing online-only. Not sure if that's what you're asking... if not, please explain!

Thank you!

Rosario

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 5, 2017 at 1:30:14 pm

That's what I was asking. In your scenario, link to the files and transcode to DNxHD 115 at a minimum.

Michael

Return to posts index

Rosario Venegas
on Jul 5, 2017 at 11:42:59 pm

Hi Michael!

1) So, AMA-link and then transcode to DNxHD 115 at a minimum, working in one same project from scratch, right?

2) If i do this, AMA-link, transcode and then edit, I won't need motion adapters, right?

3) Most of my footage is H.264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) / QuickTime files / 1280X800 / 59.912976 progressive
MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a) / Stereo / 44100 Hz.... should the project be HD 1080p/29.97?

4) And how do you recommend that I deal with the mixture of interlaced and progressive?

Thanks so much for your help!

Rosario

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 6, 2017 at 1:30:17 am

What's your final delivery? Broadcast, or streaming? What frame rate? Interlace or progressive? Once that's defined, it's easier to work backward.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]