AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Migrating AAF Sequence from Premiere CC to AVID - Won't Load

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Halley
Migrating AAF Sequence from Premiere CC to AVID - Won't Load
on Jun 25, 2017 at 7:48:06 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Halley on Jun 25, 2017 at 9:56:54 pm

I cut together this entire project in Premiere Pro, but the director (who has also edited) wants to view the project in AVID so he can tweak the sequence on the fly from home (not a fan of this, but that's beside the point).

So I'm trying to recreate the sequence in AVID as closely as possible. Certain things are not going to transfer over, but if I can at least present a workable sequence, I'll consider my task completed.

I've exported an AAF from Premiere, with audio embedded, and tried importing into AVID. The audio media plays, but the video is offline. I can remedy this by batch importing, but the sequence itself is not appearing. It tells me that the sequence cannot open because it exceeds 24 audio tracks.

However, this is impossible. The sequence contains 21 audio tracks, so something else must be at play here. Any thoughts as to what might be preventing my AAF sequence from opening in AVID?

FYI - By removing ALL the audio from my premiere sequence and exporting again, the aaf worked (video offline, but that was expected). It seems only related to audio, but it can't be the number of tracks!

Thanks for the help!
-Drew

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
Re: Migrating AAF Sequence from Premiere CC to AVID - Won't Load
on Jun 25, 2017 at 11:34:38 pm

Are some of those audio tracks stereo? If it's still the same in the current version, Avid counts 'voices' not the actual numbered tracks. So if you have 21 tracks but more than 3 of those are stereo tracks Avid will think there are more than 24 tracks.

So 3 stereo tracks are counted as 6, etc...

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jun 25, 2017 at 11:36:57 pm

Another thing to check is if there is anything loaded in the source monitor. There's times when if the source/record monitor has a lot of audio tracks you can't open another in the other window with a lot of tracks.

So if you are trying to open it with something in the other monitor, empty both first then try again.

Return to posts index

Andrew Halley
on Jun 26, 2017 at 5:16:32 pm

Thanks, Nina.

Yeah, it turns out because all of my Premiere audio tracks were stereo, it doubled the amount of tracks that the AAF would absorb - exceeding AVIDs limit. The only way to get the AAF loaded is to cut my tracks in half, which totally sucks. ☹ And the ones that were linked to video would be split up in some cases, making relinking tough.

I could also turn all my Premiere tracks in to mono, but I can't figure out a way to do that without reconstructing the sequence again. If I had known all this would happen, I would have just started in AVID in the first place to avoid this switch-over. All very frustrating..

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jun 26, 2017 at 6:56:31 pm

Well that's not fun, but at least you know why it's happening.

I don't know Premiere so can't come up with any solutions on that end. Good luck!

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jun 30, 2017 at 2:52:52 am
Last Edited By Nina Lucia on Jun 30, 2017 at 3:02:11 am

Hi again Andrew.

I was just reading what's new in MC v8.5 and it says it supports 64 audio tracks. Assuming you're on a lower version, can you upgrade to this one? Seems it will solve your issue.

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/WhatsNew_MediaComposer_v8.5.p...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]