AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Client monitor setup

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Boxall
Client monitor setup
on Jun 14, 2017 at 11:45:18 am

Hey all

I've set up an edit suite using my MacBook Pro, an LG ultrawide monitor and a focusrite scarlett 2i2 audio interface with Genelec speakers. I was hoping I could use my laptop as the client monitor but Media Composer doesn't seem to like that idea.
I then looked into getting a Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini or Aja T-Tap to set up the monitor that way but I'm seeing that you can't monitor audio and video from different devices.
Is there a blindingly obvious solution I'm missing here?

Return to posts index

Jason Boxall
Re: Client monitor setup
on Jun 24, 2017 at 12:43:31 am
Last Edited By Jason Boxall on Jun 24, 2017 at 12:44:46 am

Tumbleweed...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 24, 2017 at 12:55:31 am

Sorry, not familiar with that audio interface. When you use a video IO with Avid, Avid sends the audio to that IO box...period. NO way around that. If you can connect your audio interface to the IO box, you are good to go. But I don't know that box

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jason Boxall
on Jun 24, 2017 at 1:28:36 am

Thanks Shane. So I should be looking at something like the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle, then feeding the audio output to my interface.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 24, 2017 at 3:48:24 pm

The "blindingly obvious" solution is to get a monitor for your client to use. Buy a tv if you can't afford a professional broadcast monitor and hook it up for the client, using an I/O device of your choice. Audio can come from the TV at that point if needed.

Getting the client to sit in front of your laptop for playback is not really a great way to treat your client. If he wants to pause and check something, what are you going to do... say "sure, just scoot over a bit and let me sit there."

At the very least, you sit in front of the laptop, and give the client your secondary monitor set to full screen mode. You should always be sitting at the controls. In this scenario, you should be able to plug speakers directly from your laptop and place them by the client.

I'v done road presentations this way for offline. Me with my laptop, a second computer screen set to full screen playback for the client, and a cheap pair of speakers to amplify for the room.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Jason Boxall
on Jun 24, 2017 at 6:23:55 pm

Glen thanks for your input. I've got a separate avid keyboard along with my monitor and the laptop is being treated as a desktop computer - albeit one with a 15" 2k display. Over the years I've worked in so many production houses where the client monitor has been not much bigger than that. To be honest these days most commissioners and execs watch cuts uploaded to an ftp, which they then view on their iphone/ipad on their way to lunch.

I was simply thinking of a way to save on clutter rather than save on cash. It bugs me that we mostly work file based now but we sit in rooms with huge breakout boxes, mixing desks and tonnes of cables which take up so much space. I got a chance to set up my own suite and I thought how can I clean up the setup, hide the wires, ditch the huge boxes with knobs nobody twiddles and get more desk space creating a nicer environment. I've even got a nice jolly plant to brighten the room.

I've ordered a Blackmagic box and will be hooking it up to a 4k monitor (future proofing) and feeding it back to my audio interface, hopefully without any latency issues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]