AVID: Avid Editing Forum Avid Editing Tutorials

Bringing a sequence from Premiere Pro into Avid 8.8.3

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nina Tenny
Bringing a sequence from Premiere Pro into Avid 8.8.3
on Jun 13, 2017 at 4:30:45 pm

I'm trying to bring a sequence that was edited in Premiere into Avid and can't figure out how.

I exported an EDL from PP and imported that EDL into Avid. The Premiere file was made using Pro Res files, and these Pro Res files have already been transcoded into Avid DNxHD36 .mxfs. I was hoping to reconnect the Pro Res files to the MXFs. However, when I right-click on the imported sequence in Avid and do Batch Re-Import, and point to the .mxf file in its proper folder, I get the pop up warning: "You cannot import this file into a bin. See the documentation for information about transferring media files." The console just says "user abort of batch import". What do you think is happening here? What's the best way to import my sequence from Premiere?

Thanks for your time!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Bringing a sequence from Premiere Pro into Avid 8.8.3
on Jun 13, 2017 at 6:21:08 pm

You need to use Resolve to do this. You export an AAF or XML of the project from PPro...import that and media into Resolve. Then in the DELIVERY page, convert the media to DNx36 MXF as individual clips, and then AAF out to Avid.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nina Tenny
on Jun 13, 2017 at 11:15:46 pm

Thanks for this. The thing is, I already have MXF files of all the clips, it's part of our workflow. Every clip exists in both Pro Res and DNx36 MXF. Are you saying I need to convert the media to MXF again in order to import this sequence? I can't just somehow point to the directory with the existing DNx36 MXF files?

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jul 14, 2017 at 7:38:49 am

This response may be a bit late but here we go anyway.

Are your DNx36 files in the Avid OP Atom Codec.
If they are then they would all reside in the Avid MediaFiles/MXF/# folder.
# being a numbered folder. 1 is what Avid defaults to when you import or transcode your media. You may have more than one numbered folder depending on how things were setup when the media was imported, transcoded etc. When I do dailies with Resolve as an example I put the Test Day Media in 100 and then DAY-01 in 101 and so on. Helps me keep track of it when problems arise with media from a particular days shoot.

Ok so anyway if all this media is in a numbered folder(s) then Avid will build two database files in each numbered folder. To get this Media into a Bin right click inside a Bin and select Import Media, now navigate to the numbered folder. Look for a file that's named msmMMOB.mdb and import only that one file. You should now see your Bin Populate with all the Clips that are contained in that particular folder.

Hopefully this will help you if not for this project then maybe one in the future.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTO: If you think three copies of your media or project are enough.
Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jun 20, 2017 at 8:07:51 am

How long did it take to transcode the Pro-Res to DNxHD36?

Return to posts index

Nina Tenny
on Jun 21, 2017 at 12:51:51 am

I'm not sure -- I'm on a large production set and the DIT is in charge of transcoding. Not very long -- we're dealing with about 100GB pro res proxies a day, I think it takes less than an hour to transcode that to DNxHD36 in Resolve.

Return to posts index

Nina Lucia
on Jun 21, 2017 at 3:58:37 am

Thanks Nina!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jun 24, 2017 at 4:10:20 pm

Have you tried pointing avid to the original prores files? I have had (very little, but some) success going to premiere, but you should be pointing Avid to the same media that premiere was using to get this any where near close to working.

Once it is in Avid, (if it gets in properly) then you can either work with the prores, or transcode.
"its part of our workflow" sometimes workflows have to change and evolve based on situations at hand. You've already got the prores files, why not just use them?

If you need to go through Resolve, you could in theory, bring in your premiere xml, and output a new aaf that can be brought into Avid. This is not part of the Avid roundtrip setup, but is achieved through the export new aaf command.

I have had spotty success with this as well. As always, if premiere is doing a bunch of frame rate conversions, expect to manually re-edit those clips into your show.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]